DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
HI everyone,

Over the years as my fibro has got worse to the point i now struggle with walking more than a few minutes and doing house chores is a major task that i can only achieve in short bursts.....

I notice i have gradually become more and more nervous about things that would never have bothered me all related to how the craziness of this illness has affected me.

So if i am out walking and a dog is off its lead or gets too close i feel very anxious its going to jump up in case it hurts me or i twist awkwardly or step back without thinking and topple and i don't like being out alone as if i needed the restroom ( we say toilet in Uk) the doors maybe too heavy and i would really hurt myself and ruin the day.

I know lots of you have fibro more mildly and opening heavy shop doors or a dog wacking you with its tail wouldn't hurt you but for me it would feel like an injury and could result in long term pain.

Any one else find they are in Self Protection mode over a whole range of things?

Hope this post doesnt sound silly!

Willow, I totally understand how you feel. I am constantly trying to figure out how to do things that will cause the least amount of pain to me. One of the worst things is when someone tries to hug me or shake my hand. I don't want to seem stand offish but on the other hand I don't want to be in pain. Most of the time I try to explain what my condition is but sometimes I don't get the chance before someone grabs me in a hug or handshake. And I know what you mean by heavy doors. It is even harder for me because I have had my left shoulder replaced and that arm is very weak. I just pull slowly and hope I can get it open. I have even gone so far as to ask someone in a store to open the door for me or I will wait until someone else goes through the door and hope I can scoot in behind them without the door shutting. My husband doesn't seem to understand why when he just touches me it hurts. He thinks I am faking it so I won't have to let him near me. It's terrible that we have to live this way but this is the hand we have been dealt and we have to find a way to live with it. I am not diminishing it in any way but I try to look at people around me that are so worse off than I am and be thankful that I don't have their problems.

Thanks Krista yes i do the same with the shop doors and either scoot in behind or hover and ask someone just going through to keep it open for me too!

I also explain in simple terms...like saying i have bad shoulders.....some people are so kind and don't mind at all...others haha mainly young or middle aged women actually look a bit bemused and confused as i don't look old and i don't look sick and help but with less compassion on their faces.

Our local pharmacy has a door bell for disabled people to press so an assistant can open the heavy door ...once or twice i have pressed that and one middle aged assistant in particular totally ignored me...just looked straight at me and carried on standing behind her counter ..pulling a face of disbelief.

Funny...i bet if i had a stick or arm in a sling signalling pain or disability she would have come scurrying!

My partner has even stood outside a ladies restroom 'Main Entrance' waiting for me to call out 'I'm ready' to open the door to let me out!

I also hate crowds in shopping malls where you can get pushed and shoved or your heels hit by a trolley as i don't seem to recover from being bashed for several days.

Oh and another thing i do is if a parcel is delivered to my house instead of reaching out to take it I always ask the delivery person to pop it on the floor just inside my entrance porch incase it is very heavy...well heavy to me not heavy by a healthy persons standard....some also look at me like I'm a bit mad especially if its large but turns out to be feather light!

Last edited:
The slower you go......the faster you will get tnere. Its ok to take your time. I have still yet to learn TO SLOW DOWN. TRY IT .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back