Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
CA
My coworkers have been increasingly inundating the bathrooms with scents and sprays and now have put in automatic spays that go off every 10 minutes... (it doesn't help that my office is right next to the restrooms and I'm one of the only ones that doesn't have a door to their office) the chemical smells are causing my fibromyalgia to create pain in my back and shoulders from it. Now someone has been spraying things around the general office space. The bathrooms are a single locking room, so I've taken to using the men's room because they don't use spray, however now there is an automatic sprayer in there as well. I got a note from my doctor saying no sprays, perfumes or colognes, but the director said that we can't really enforce that because that would interfere with other co-workers rights too.... I'm now at the point that I can not use the restroom at work and I'm thinking I'm going to have to go down the block to the grocery store if I can't wait until I get home. Sometimes I wish other people could feel exactly what I feel if only for an hour or two, just so they would understand this is not some made up thing.... and back to crying again :( Sorry for rambling I'm just so defeated right now, I hate coming in to work, I hate leaving the house, I hate dealing with everyone that cant understand that someone who looks normal can be sick and that scents really can make someone sick

It's not other people's right to have perfumes in the bathroom! It's not their right to make you sick. I wouldn't accept that from the director. You have the right to be well. You aren't infringing on anyone's rights. That's ridiculous. I have had problems with fragrances for years. I get migraines from them, too. My family is very careful about it. Is it just synthetic fragrance? Maybe there are pure essential oils that are safe for you. Like pure peppermint oil actually helps when I have a migraine. If that works, maybe they can use those instead. They make a diffuser. Sorry they are being so hurtful.

Took my doctors note to my direct boss instead, thinking maybe work my way up the chain instead... her response was "well that means I would have to get rid of my room plug in to, not that I wouldn't be willing to do that of course, but think of everyone else here"... If I didn't need the job to pay for my medical insurance and prescriptions, along with a few other bills I would just quit! I HATE MY JOB SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!! I literally had to drive down the street to the grocery store to use the bathroom today

Wow, we have a no scents policy where I work because of a sensitive coworker.......we used to have a no peanut policy too due to an allergic coworker who no longer works with us.

Sorry to hear they won't budge for you.

How r things going at work?

Some info on air fresheners
The Real Reason Air Fresheners “Smell Good”
It may surprise you to know that the air fresheners you use don’t actually make the odor in your home go away. Your home smells good when you use them because they actually change the way your nose perceives odors. A chemical called p-dichlorobenzene deadens the nerve cells in your nose by coating your nostrils in a type of film.
The Centers for Disease Control classifies p-dichlorobenzene as a “possible occupational carcinogen”. It has also been reported to cause asthma, allergy attacks, eye irritation, liver disease, kidney malfunction, gastrointestinal problems, and skin rash.
Dangerous Chemicals Lead to Mystery Symptoms
Do you suffer from frequent headaches, allergies, and stomach problems? Millions of people live with chronic pain and discomfort of one kind or another and are dependent on some of medication to get through the day. Your doctor may never have told you that your mystery symptoms may be as simple as a reaction to all the chemicals in your home.
Chemicals in scented air fresheners include:
Phthalates
These plasticizers are powerful endocrine disruptors that have been known to contribute to male and female infertility in laboratory mice. Studies have shown that children exposed to phthalates in the womb have an increased risk of developing neurological and behavioral problems.
Parabens
Research has shown that there is a direct link between the parabens found in deodorant and breast cancer in women. It is no better for you to breathe in artificial scents containing these dangerous chemicals either. Not only are parabens known carcinogens, they also contribute to the development of neurological problems, decreased immunity, gastrointestinal problems, and infertility.
Formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is a preservative used in dead bodies; there is absolutely no reason for you to be breathing this stuff in while you’re alive. Side effects of this toxic poison include wheezing, coughing, throat irritation, burning skin and eyes, nausea, and stomach distress.
The Environmental Protection agency has classified formaldehyde as a possible human carcinogen for over 20 years.
Petrochemicals
Used in the manufacture of pesticides and air fresheners, petrochemicals cause breathing problems, headaches, chronic fatigue, suppressed thyroid function, nausea, weight gain, and neurological dysfunction.BenzeneThis flammable, sweet-smelling chemical has a serious dark side. It is a know carcinogen that has been linked to the development leukemia and other blood cancers. Other dangerous side effects of this air freshener additive include anemia, low white blood count, and low platelet count, which can lead to internal bleeding.

I've never heard of smell making pain worse.that don't mean it doesn't ,I have just never heard of it before today.god if we ain't got enough to deal with.

Strong smells give me migraines and sore throat..i can literally taste the smell from things like anti bacterial spray used in kitchens or sawn wood and cement in DIY stores or strong flowers brought in the house...my throat tightens and my ears start to ache from a smell !

I have had this symptom since young adult hood but just ignored it as pre fibro only caused a sore throat...but it was another of those early tale tale signs of over sensitivity many of us have signs of for decades before the main symptoms of body pain and fatigue kick in....yes weird eh!

My dadhas ME /CFS and he is the same with smells...i thought the smell thing was a bit bonkers when i was a teenager and thought my dad was making a meal out of nothing not liking my mum wearing perfume etc.

I was pondering on that one too forgetmenot, I think everythings hypersensitive at the time of a flair that would include smells.

I believe they refer to this as "sensory overload." I am in the middle of a horrible flair, I have been hypersensitive to noise and smells. The slightest smell is sickening.

MaggyBunny,

I'm sensitive to smells since Ive been diagnosed with fibromyalgia too.

I was just reading some threads, and came to yours.
One suggestion would be to buy one of those small desk air purifiers.
I have large ones in my house if the smells get strong I run them for a while . They work great!

Also instead of sprays u can buy poopouri
They sell it on QVC it's an oil spray and u spray it in the toilet before u poop lol
And it completely masks all the smells
It works great.
Then maybe u can suggest to get rid of the sprays if u put that bottle in the bathroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back