Does fibro make you feel depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome post, Shades of Idaho! You are so right, I totally hate it when they say depression is causing our pain, that's just plain stupid and not true at all. What a way to downplay such an awful disease, they don't suffer it... obviously or else I bet they'd think differently. Of course people with FM feel depressed, but I'm pretty sure it's the damn FM causing that and not the other way around.

Some people who don't suffer from this think it is that way, hence they say offensive things like: ''It's all in your head''. God, all I can think is... ''what prick! This pain is real! You idiot! I can't control it, if I could I would....!''. Yup, people can be so darn offensive.

Depression and Fibromyalgia seem to go together quite often for a lot of people. I have depression anyway, and this condition plus other ones as well as going through menopause has been very tough! It's very normal to feel depressed when your body doesn't work like you need for it to. When you want to do something physically or mentally and you can't, you can feel really out of control in what your body and mind do and how they react to the Fibromyalgia. I have wished many a day that I could have an easier time with this condition and hoping that if I was just positive enough I could make myself feel better. The truth is there are biological and neurological reasons as to why we don't have the kind of control on our lives that we would like to have. You just have to take care of yourself and reduce stress as much as you can. Eating well, sleeping good, and getting some exercise most days of the week can also help immensely! I hurt a lot more before I changed my lifestyle. I still have flares that are insane, but it is not as often as it used to be because of some of the changes that I have made. I do not take any meds specifically for the Fibromyalgia and that seems to work the best for me and my situation.

I know what you mean, this is why I've have finally started to accept myself the way I am. I think all these years I've been constantly trying to change myself and that's why I couldn't focus on the important things in life and plain enjoy those simple things. I wanted to be someone I'm not, but that's over. I'm finally accepting myself and who i am in and out... also learning to love myself! It's a huge relief!

Fibro can certainly be something depressing because we see our old life disappear. I think that support, like here in the forum, is something extremely important.

Sometimes the forums doesn't quite make it for some people, it is a wonderful place, but some people need to see others suffering from this just like them face to face, so they can relate better to them and not feel as lonely as they might feel sometimes. This forum is wonderful, but it'd be much better if it had a chat.

i take Cymbalta which helps with the depression and helps with the pain. It's the one they advertise as being "For the pain of depression." While I've always struggled with depression, I did not have any pain with it until the firbomyalgia came along. Some days I'm not sure if it helps either, other days I do pretty well.

Sorry to hear that med isn't so consistent for you, Deb. Sadly that's the risk we have to take with those meds: try them and see if they work. If you are not sure Cymbalta is really working, then I recommend you to see your doctor and discuss other choices.

Yes, I feel depressed and anxious. I am on Wellbutrin...but it seemingly doesn't make much difference anymore. I just started a new job, so once I get my insurance cards I am making an appointment to see a therapist. Hoping she will give me insight on some things. Have you tried any medications? Is a therapist an option for you?

I think Doctors should encourage water exercise for Fibro, Somewhere us people can go for Physical Therapy in the water. It should be covered by Health Care or Insurance. There we can feel the weightless feeling that water provides. I am saying this because my Husband surprised me by taking me to a hotel in Niagara Falls. We went in the Hot Tub and the swimming pool and I am telling you that this was the best I ever felt in a long time. The warm water was so comforting and the weightlessness was pure heaven to me. Water really helped me this weekend! I am looking into a class for low impact water exercises. I also think it helps with depression. Just wanted to share my experience with you all, maybe you can try water exercises for depression and the body.

yes depression, pain, exhaustion is a vicious cycle for me. Every day I fight the D off. Sometimes especially winter I need anti depressants. They do help me a great deal. I feel upset most of the time and try to stay busy to keep my mind off how I'm feeling.
I also cut out most of the stress from my daily life which has helped me tremendously.

I have adopted a new pup and she keeps me in a much better mood. Dogs r my healing helpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back