Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
uk
State
northamptonshire
Hi is it normal with fibromyalgia to be totaly worn out and tired when hardley doing anything i have only been diagnosed a couple of months ago, but have had months of being in pain and just getting out of bed in the morning is a struggle, i feel constantly worn out. I used to get up at 5am do all my housework washing ironing and be done by 8, now i struggle to get up at 9 and it takes me all day to get things done, i have no strength in my arms and legs,can lift anything, cant walk for more than about 10 min, struggle to do anything to be honest Am i going mad.

Hi Caroline, Yes, what you are through is normal for fibro...it's been about 6 years for me...I am on tramadol and neurotin to handle symptoms..I quit working at the end of 2011 to help with some issues with my mom, thinking I could go back to work once that situation was handled. Right now, I'm not sure if that is an option.

My mornings I am up at 5 a.m. (habit from working for many years), get a cup of coffee and take a tramadol and then back to bed to lay on my heating pad to combat the neck and back stiffness, watch some tv and check facebook, etc. About 7 a.m., I take my medications along with two advil followed by a hot shower to loosen up my stiff muscles.

Each day's activities depend on what level of fatigue I feel on a scale of 1 to 10. I sleep a lot! Usually out by 9:00 p.m at night and when necessary take afternoon naps. Even if my pain is under control, I am always fighting fatigue. It's hard to get used to the "new normal" of fibro as I was always a "hit the ground running" kind of person.

The hardest thing for me is getting used to the effects on my muscles of any type of strain...for example, raking leaves, housework, washing my car..things that don't affect a normal person, make me feel like I did the most aggressive workout of my life.. If you overdo; you pay the price...so PACE yourself. Do keep myself from going crazy, I have picked up hobbies that don't make things hurt...sewing, crafts, cooking, baking, etc.

You didn't mention if you were on any medications to help with the symptoms. Massage, heating pads, ice packs, are now your best friends.

Everyone experiences fibro in their own way...keep reading through this forum for helpful hints from other members on managing your symptoms. It seems to be trial and error for everyone to find what works best for each person.

Hang in there!

how great to hear from someone who understands, i am taking gabapenten, and just normal pain killers, the hospital prescribed the gabapenten,exactly like you each day is different, i can manage small amounts of housework but cant carry anything heavy like shopping bags as so painfull in my neck same as you,can cok but have to have help with lifting heavy pans and getting things in and out of the oven.struggle to get shoes on and off. Ihave had a couple of bad episodes where i was walking and my legs where so painfull my husband had to lift my legs into the car as i just couldnt make them move at all it was as if they weighed so heavy i couldnt lift them. i too struggle so much with the tiredness, always have a sleep every afternoon. I am normally in bed by between 7 and 8pm and surround myself with lots of pillows, im asleep by 9.but i have found the last few weeks i have been spending 2 or 3 days just sleeping,this makes me feel very depressed and tearful, but i cant take antidepressants as i also suffer with burnibg mouth sydrome and antidepressants make this worse. I dont know if you have any suggestions for the tiredness i have been advise by the doctor to do little bits of housework at a time and not to try and overdo things by doing to much for long periods.It go to a craft group as this is something i enjoy and gets me out of the house for a couple of hours in the week as i find if im not going out as it takes such an effort to get ready.i have a wonderfull husband who helps a lot but feel i am always asking him to dothis do that and help me all the time.Its very frustraiting when you have always been very active no now struggle just doing everyday things. hopefully speaking to people on here with the same condition as me will help me come to terms with it many thanks for replying to my earlier post regaurds caroline

I totally understand what you're going through. I am so tired all the time that it's very hard to function. I force myself to get up and I keep up with my housework because my husband works long hours so that I don't have to work outside the home. I struggle with guilt if everything is not done because I've always worked and did the household chores. He tries to understand how I feel but unless you are suffering like me you can't totally understand. I am usually in bed by 7PM but then can't sleep. It's hard to fall asleep and stay asleep which makes me even more tired. The only thing that gives me a little relief is I give myself a B-12 injection every Saturday morning. I wish my doctor would increase it to 2 a week because by Tuesday I can't tell I took it. Hope we all find some relief soon.

great to get messages from other people suffering like me b12 injections ive never herd of these, i been given gabapentin and thats it no other medication been mentiond by my gp, but must assume that im only at the begining of my treatment so need to give time to see what is going to work for me. More than anything its the constant tiredness, struggling to do normal everyday little jobs.But todays gona be a good day im hopeful xx:

B-12 injections is a vitamin, it was given to me to help with energy. You can ask your doctor if it would help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back