Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
AU
State
Queensland
I have diagnosed myself with fibromyalgia , from researching my symptoms over the past 5 years . I tick all off the boxes of symptoms listed and have experienced them all at various degrees.
I tend to read that most sufferers complain of joint and muscle pain, although I experience that to a lesser degree and have some very tender joints ( no prodding massages for me) the symptoms that bother me most is early morning waking and fibro fog and memory loss.
I work at a very busy rehab, hospital as an Occupational Therapist an feel like something the cat dragged in, and struggle to get though each day, I think I would feel much better if I could get a good nights sleep, there is no way I can get to sleep after waking up at approx. 3.00am. I think fatigue effects my driving , which also is a concern for me, I am avoiding taking sleeping tablets and wondering if anyone out there has some possible solutions.
Thank You Paula

A couple of thoughts. Lack of sleep will also make pain worse, so sleep is important. If you don't want to use sleeping tablets, try melatonin. It works for some folks. You might also try a night time pain/sleep aid to see if it helps. I use tylenol with a benadryl equivalent, available over the counter in the US, occasionally when my pain is out of control and I need something to add to my mix of medications. (Tylenol boosts the tramadol that I take for pain.)You can also just get a benadryl equivalent without the tylenol (acetaminophen). Sometimes, though, you just have to get a sleep med.

If you're waking from pain, check out your bed. Adding a soft mattress topper or memory foam to ease the pressure points will help immensely.

You can also alter your sleep schedule if possible. Go to bed earlier to try to get at least 6 hours sleep. Messes up the nightlife, but helps with fatigue!

Hope you get sleep soon.

Paula: All I can suggest is what I do or have done. Bought a fantastic mattress, couldnt get comfortable on the old one and found one with memory foam that does the trick, still have sleep issues & sore spots but not as bad as before. When I am going out of my mind with lack of sleep, mindfulness meditation for chronic pain (you tube it) or a meditation for sleep helps most of the time. Unfortunately I seem to require more sleep than 8 hours and never get it, so Im still feeling sleep deprived since I work also. I know the feeling! Just as a side note, most anti anxiety or sleep meds after effects are depressive. Most dont know that, it is one of the reasons I choose not to take them also...Besides being hard on the liver & whole body in general. Just my opinion & only a suggestion..Good luck on you journey! Oh I forgot, chamomile tea every night.

Melatonin is a hormone released in our brains to help us fall asleep, and you can buy it over-the-counter at the pharmacist. I have found that it has helped with the least side effects. I watch mind-numbing things on my iphone (like Futurama - I know but it works!) just to take my mind off of worries and that helps me too. Sleep makes such a difference in how I will feel the next day. I hope you can work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back