Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/1996
Country
US
State
FL
I was diagnosed in1996 with fibro. Just a few years later was also diagnosed with hashimotos throiditis. They play off each other. The meds for one doesn't help the other, and vice versa. So thru pain management bio whatever, I learned how to control my pain without meds. I have lived for almost 20 years knowing my limitations and hoping to not push to the point of"shut down". Its not easy, my children think I hate them because I work all week and then can't get up and run all weekend or they have to do extra choirs because mommy is done for the day...but it works for me. I don't want to be on meds. I was a whopping 120# when I was diagnosed..and after meds I ballooned to over 200# that much weight made pain worse. I have found without meds my body has leveled and I won't gain or lose weight. I stay within5 #of 165. I can live with this. (Well kinda have to..lol) but to the crux of the story. I have a disabled husband, so in order to have any income..I have to be the one working. We have had insurance in the past. But I was just notified that I was cancelled off. I haven't been to a Dr for fibro or hashimotos in at least 15 years. I haven't received any form of treatment and I don't want to start meds now. But I have honestly got to the point where the fog is starting to affect my work. People ask me what something is and I'm like hey I know the answer" that is a um...oh I'm sorry did they page my name..what did you ask again? Oh that that's a...." Meanwhile I'm stalling just to give myself time to "remember" what was on the top of my tongue the whole time. Or the other day when I tried to say some thing simple like pineapple and kept saying penguin. I'd breath and say oh penguin...no i mean penguin...uh. Pineapple pineapple...doesn't sound very professional. Along with the sciatic pain that I can't handle from standing all day, the constant pain, the hypothermia and restless leg syndrome getting worse and going to the back of the store 950 times to remember what I went for, I think it may be time to retire and try to do something that takes care of me. Or work much less hours. I want to apply for ssi. I'm in a catch22 I've been told I need medical records to prove I have it..but I need ssi so I can have insurance to get it. I live in Florida. Have any of you chosen a homeopathic route and managed to obtain ssi assistance?

...I think it may be time to retire and try to do something that takes care of me. Or work much less hours. I want to apply for ssi. I'm in a catch22 I've been told I need medical records to prove I have it..but I need ssi so I can have insurance to get it. I live in Florida. Have any of you chosen a homeopathic route and managed to obtain ssi assistance?

I take it that you are still working? Did you earn an average of $1130/mo or more in 2016 ($1170 in 2017)? If yes, then by SSA's definition of disabled, you won't qualify for SS disability benefits.

You might want to review this online booklet on "Disability Benefits", by the Social Security Administration:
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf

I can understand your catch-22 situation. Perhaps others here will be able to suggest social services and other programs that might be available to you at low or no cost in Florida.

I also believe you need to seek medical care, not only to document your medical condition in case you do apply for SS disability in the future, but also to make sure you get medical help for your failing cognitive problems. Maybe the problems can be improved with medication or other treatment. You won't know unless you go to a doctor.

For more on the SS disability application process, I suggest that see a disability advocate and to also visit the "SS disability facts forum" (google it) where experts can advise you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back