Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
Oregon
Meditation is a great way to reduce the stress and anxiety that seems to accompany Fibromyalgia. Not only can it help this condition, but I believe that it can help with every condition that you may encounter in your life because it works on the mind and the body. All it takes is just a few minutes a day to relax and unwind and you need to make your physical and emotional health a top priority when it comes to treating Fibromyalgia or any illness. Meditation has been used for thousands of years and has many benefits with practice. Does anyone use meditation as a way of dealing with the pain and anxiety that comes with Fibromyalgia and has it helped your symptoms at all?

I practice Tae Kwon Do several times a week and find that helps as long as I use moderation. I keep it simple and it does help to a point just like anything else. If I go more than a couple of days without it then I really begin to feel an overall increase in pain and stiffness.

I did a lot of meditation and self hypnosis work when I was growing up and I am so grateful I did. I learned quite a lot of bio feedback control techniques and can both block pain and send myself to sleep - however there are downsides. Blocking pain can take a lot of energy and if I let things get out of balance I tend to find more and more of my energy is going towards blocking pain until I get emotionally volatile and may end up loosing my temper with my nearest and dearest. Also while I can send myself to sleep it is not necessarily good sleep - the kind that actually leaves me feeling rested. It might help a bit because I am not stressing about staying awake but by itself is not enough.
I do think that people with a fibromyalgia diagnosis should be offered instruction in meditation and self hypnosis. They are really useful tools to have and certainly reduce my need for pharmaceutical help which is all to the good

I don't practice meditation, but I do listen ASMR videos often and that helps me enter a state of complete relaxation. I can tell it has helped me so far! I would try meditation, but I am not good at relaxing on my own, I tend to have a lot trouble relaxing! It's like when I try to close my eyes a lot things cross my mind. I need to work hard on this, maybe one day I can make it.

It is ironic that to be good at meditation and the like you do have to work hard to start off with. It can take a lot of effort to achieve the calm mind. I think it important to remember that the more you worry about not thinking the more you actually think. Meditation is not about not thinking so much as controlled thinking. If you think of the single minded concentration you use when threading a needle it is that sort of thing but on something internal not external.

Controlling of your thoughts can be quite effective. I myself suffer from an anxiety disorder. Calming my thoughts helped me a lot towards beating it. I still take benzos for it but only about 0.5 mg, which is nothing.

I do meditation sometimes. It makes me relief from stress and anxiety too. It's a great help for me for years also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back