Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
IL
Hi. I am 25 and was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few months ago. I saw several doctors over the last few years and have had extensive tests done as I have many symptoms that mimic other diseases. I FINALLY got my diagnosis and and trying to learn to cope. My worst symptom is extreme fatigue. I can barely get out of bed, miss appointments, am never fully rested, etc.

I am looking for ANY input, experiences, suggestions, and support as to how to deal with this overwhelming, and very upsetting exhaustion. I just cry not knowing what to do.

I was recently put on Cymbalta. I've been on 60mg for a few weeks now. I started taking several vitamins. I take melatonin at night (6mg) because I wake up several times during the night normally. Other than that, I am searching for a solution to cope. I don't feel like any of these are the solution to my fatigue.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Im struggling!

First, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you are going through this. You're too young to have to deal with this illness. Know that you will adjust and learn to function. Everyone is different is what I've learned. I too suffer from extreme fatigue, which doesn't make sense that I also suffer from insomnia (hence 1:35 a.m. post). I've always been a night owl, even as a kid. Now I'm still a night owl, whether I want to be or not, but come morning, I'm so fatigued, I can't function many days. Keep your attitude positive and do a lot of research into your symptoms and suggestions to help. What works on one, may or may not work on another. Don't get frustrated, just keep your chin up and you'll learn to cope.....Take care and gentle hugs from me to you....

Believe it or not ,your don't sleep well with fibro even if u spend hours in bed. You don't go into the last stage of sleep ,so u don't feel rested .i been where u are ,we all have,
U need to ask the Dr about that and ask for something to help u sleep better.
Also pain makes you tired.its a long hard road for us all ,but u will find what works for u,and give what every meds your given at lest six weeks to really work,a good night sleep won't make fibro ever go away but it really helps xxxxhugs

Hi, I have chronic fatigue and exhaustion too. During its worst stage, I was on bed for 8 days straight.....just wanted to close my eyes and sleep all the time. It was like being in a coma. The first thing you need to try and do is get your sleep. I had taken some prescription drugs through my psychiatrist. You are quite young, but you may want to see a professional who can help you sleep. Once that is done, you will feel slightly better. My best sincere wishes for you. God bless.

Hi there. I've been able to routinely modify my pain through a regimen of diet, exercise, medication and supplements. The constant fatigue is also my greatest challenge. I walk a knife edge between balancing exercise that has helped my pain with exercise that puts me in bed. A cognitive behavioral therapy group for chronic pain helped me find ways to manage my life through new ways of thinking about and responding to the pain and fatigue. I have gone from the Alpha take charge woman to one who carefully measures each day's activity to avoid flares and complete exhaustion. Getting here required me to surrender my view of who I was and allow myself to mourn that loss. I have been and continue to be finding new ways of doing old things as well as finding joy in my limitations. I know that may sound strange, but slowing down has given me the opportunity to see and be in the world in a more complete way. Am I always successful? Nope. Do I get frustrated? Yep. And there are days that I still cry and hurt and sleep. But they are fewer than a year ago.

You do need good sleep for both pain and fatigue. A sleep study might help sort out issues there. Having good bedtime routines helps. I find napping thru a complete sleep cycle (45 mins-1 hour) helps get me thru the day. If you're working full time, that's a bit tough. I am sleeping better with medication. I tried every supplement I could before opting for Trazadone, an old antidepressant med. However, since I am on Cymbalta for fibro AND a major depressive disorder, it seemed to make sense to add this to my regimen. Maybe someday I can stop all meds, but until that day I am grateful to have found something that works.

You might want to look up information about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well since many of us with fibro are also diagnosed with CFS. Some good suggestions out in internet land.

Take care. Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back