Reason
Other
Diagnosis
01/2005
Country
US
State
earth
I posted earlier with a link to you tube regarding this subject. I guess adding links to posts are not ok..So I will try again

Couple of months back when I was having a really bad flare and nothing was working I found a guided mindfulness meditation for chronic pain on youtube. It has helped tone down the flares when I actually apply the technique. Wondering if anyone in the forum is trying this also? Great empirical data has shown this to be a viable treatment for chronic pain.

Thanks for the input..

Absolutely. It is an essential part of my routine and I am completely convinced that it helps me maintain my life without maxing out on pain medication. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Glad to get input Loftpat! If you dont mind me asking, what CD's or DVD's are you using. Im overwhelmed with the selection online to purchase some more and could use suggestions if you have any. I bought a series that is good, but I know I can find something better.. Having a real nasty flare up for the past couple of weeks and being proactive in treating it helps me stay in a decent attitude.

Hi. Jon Karat Zinn has a number of guided meditations on YouTube that are good...and free. I don't have any CDs or DVDs, but I do have a couple of Apps for my iPad that are just relaxation/meditation music. I use the guided ones when I am struggling to center myself, otherwise I just use music. Or in warmer weather, I sit by the brook, the ocean or in a grove of Norway pines near my house and use those sounds as a backdrop to still my thoughts. I've found that some of the guided ones are annoying because of a personal preference on the sound of the person's voice. I suppose that shouldn't bother, but I figure if it's getting in my way it's easier to find something else. I meditate everywhere when I need to quiet pain or anxiety. Just 5 minutes of focused breathing helps when I'm out doing errands and need to restore to finish and get home. I guess, for me, it's important to be able to just sit anywhere, anytime so I just keep doing it. And it gets easier the more you do. It's not about doing it "right," it's just doing it. Today, tomorrow and forever.

Thanks for the feedback Loftpat. I am looking for more guided meditation that is specific regarding pain and the empirical research that goes with it. Im aware & have practiced of a multitude of different meditation "styles". I want to hear the science information utilized with the Buddhist & or Zen breathing techniques...Not a big Buddhist kinda gal...Like the pieces that help with the pain..The rest of it..well, its a matter of personal taste. .. Have an amazing jazz collection of music that does the trick, nothing like an old broadway showtune to cheer me up, no matter what kinda pain..I hit goofy at that point. Wonder if there is any comedy meditation combo for pain....

Hi again. Jon Kabat Zinn did seminal research around meditation and pain, and the development of the MSBR program. There's an article on the NIH website on mindfulness meditation related pain control that discusses this research as well as looks at focused and open meditation-- where most techniques originated. Breathing is a focused technique that I learned at the very beginning of my meditation practice. Zinn has developed CDs, but the YouTube links are still great. He's also written a number of books; a couple I've read and found useful. I've got to have the research as well; so wary of snake oil fixes. Zinn is the real deal.

Yes! The acronym MSBR was exactly what I needed to help narrow down the choices. Ive heard it before but the brain fog has been bad the past few months. Purchased Zinn's Series 3 guided mindfulness meditation and I like it but want something different or im resisting this meditation style for some reason. Its nice to be able to chat with someone regarding this subject. I have a dear friend with a masters in psych but its not the same as chatting with someone who shares the same condition.

You're very welcome. Sharing thoughts with and learning from fibro friends is exactly why I visit this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back