Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
LA
What kind of yoga classes should I take for my FM? I just read a research article recommending 75-minute classes, but most only go for 60 minutes, including a 15-minute nap at the end. My friends say that it should be easy enough to do a beginner Hatha yoga class, to just go slow and breathe. Still, I don't know if I can do everything that yoga demands. Does anybody have experience with this?

I would say take the easiest class possible. That would probably be best for people in our situation. Or maybe an at home yoga DVD so you don't hold the class behind or get embarrassed when you fail doing a move and if it gets too intense for you then you can just turn off the DVD player.

There are many yoga workouts online (YouTube).
I suggest you try a Yin Yoga to start with - super gentle and not a lot of ups and downs. Yin is very slow, you hold poses 2-3 minutes depending on the class. You can prop yourself up with towels, blankets, bolsters as needed. I have bookmarked but not tried a few 30 minute ones. Leslie Fightmaster looks like a good instructor.
Yoga and stretching are wonderful for our screwed up bodies. Some days its hard getting going with it but it definitely helps.

The easist class possible... but you need to check different classes and check your comfort and pain levels. Senior yoga classes would be fine, those are usually very gentle. Sadly not many people who suffer from fibro can do yoga, because their pain levels don't allow it :( It all depends on your pain levels in the end.

Yoga has been known to reduce pain and cause relaxation to patients. I suggest you should try it and see if it is the right fit for you, as patients have varying results when using alternative medicine to complement their treatment. Good luck!

I forget the name (maybe it was Hatha?), but they called the class "gentle yoga." I took it pre-fibro. I would do the position in the mornings and afternoons on my own before a run, since it's basically just stretching positions.

The gentlest kind of yoga you can find. Maybe Kripalu Yoga but start SLOWLY.

I found a yoga therapist who specializes in working with those with physical & emotional trauma. She had been very helpful.

Before I was diagnosed with chronic pain, chronic fatigue, RA, and Fibromyalgia;I was once so excited about Yoga. I used to take Yoga for awhile but my screams at the thought of any type of Yoga now. I realize it is healthy and helpful but I am so totally cautious of what I do physically just to avoid the pain as much as possible. Yes I am a Yoga wuss!!!!

There is also a book - Yoga for Fibromyalgia: Move, Breathe, and Relax to Improve Your Quality of Life by Shoosh Lettick Crotzer.

I forget the name (maybe it was Hatha?), but they called the class "gentle yoga." I took it pre-fibro. I would do the position in the mornings and afternoons on my own before a run, since it's basically just stretching positions.

Yes! Hatha yoga is great for beginners. It's a lot gentler and more "slow flow" I guess you could call it - I think it's probably the best form of yoga I would recommend for anyone suffering from fibromyalgia. I think it's also a great one for various age ranges, I've even heard of quite senior people taking hatha yoga classes and loving them!

I love yoga, but haven't been able to do it in quite some time. I have a DVD that has a morning and an evening routine. The morning routine is intended to energize, and the evening routine is intended to relax and center. I am trying to get back into yoga practice, and have decided that even if all I can do is one sun salutation in a day, it will be a good thing.

My doctor recommended Tai-Chi. Gentlest Yoga

Definitely SVAROOPA YOGA. It is totally supported restorative yoga. Doesn't cure, but keeps me functioning. Research on svaroopayoga.org to see if there is a certified therapist in your area (they are rare). If you are lucky enough to have it offered in your area, I can guarantee you would not regret giving it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back