Not open for further replies.

Dobeigh

Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
US
State
OH
Has anyone taken Vicodin and noticed a dramatic decrease in their fatigue? I took it because I was having a very bad arthritis flare up and noticed that I had so much energy! I also noticed this energy when I took my vicodin after surgery, as well. I talked to my rheumatologist and she told me that it is very common for people with fibromyalgia to be energized by vicodin. Too bad it's a narcotic because I feel like I could clean the whole house and do a million different things when I take it. It is so tempting to take it more often than I need for pain just so I can get the energizing effects. But I don't. Tonight, I called in to work because I was just so dang tired and I couldn't bare being oriented by a girl who doesn't even want me to be there (I'm a new nurse). It is only a PRN job so I'm not worried about getting fired or anything but dang! I should have just took a vicodin and got me some Starbucks and kept on trucking.

Dobeigh,
I always worry when I hear of people taking narcotic drugs. They are so addictive and after a time more and more are needed to get that high feeling. I took it for a short time after a hospital visit. It did a good job of masking the pain so I could get better, but I was glad to stop taking it. It gives you the feeling that all the pain is gone and like you said, you could do anything again. But that thrill is short lived because if you do go gunho and over-do, the pain will be twice as bad as before and you will be tempted to take more. As a nurse you should understand that using high doses of vicodin and doing the work you do is not a good mix.

I would suggest you ask your family doctor or your Rheumatologist, for a medication that is used for fibro, such as Neurontin. Can you take over the counter drugs? When my joints and muscles ache I use Excedrin. It works well and lasts a long time. Some people use codine. Be sure to check out the posts by others on pain medications and ask your doctor about giving them a try.

Just know I am only saying this to you out of concern. Medications are a personal choice and we all want to have days that are pain free. It is just that some drugs are more dangerous to use than others, and some side effects can be deadly. Good Luck! :)

Dobeigh,
I always worry when I hear of people taking narcotic drugs. They are so addictive and after a time more and more are needed to get that high feeling. I took it for a short time after a hospital visit. It did a good job of masking the pain so I could get better, but I was glad to stop taking it. It gives you the feeling that all the pain is gone and like you said, you could do anything again. But that thrill is short lived because if you do go gunho and over-do, the pain will be twice as bad as before and you will be tempted to take more. As a nurse you should understand that using high doses of vicodin and doing the work you do is not a good mix.

I would suggest you ask your family doctor or your Rheumatologist, for a medication that is used for fibro, such as Neurontin. Can you take over the counter drugs? When my joints and muscles ache I use Excedrin. It works well and lasts a long time. Some people use codine. Be sure to check out the posts by others on pain medications and ask your doctor about giving them a try.

Just know I am only saying this to you out of concern. Medications are a personal choice and we all want to have days that are pain free. It is just that some drugs are more dangerous to use than others, and some side effects can be deadly. Good Luck! :)

Oh no! I only take the vicodin when absolutely necessary. I have only taken vicodin twice in the past 2 weeks. That is it. I do not abuse vicodin because I know the risks. I do take neurontin and effexor for my fibromyalgia. I also take naproxen, enbrel injections (for my ankylosing spondylitis), and zanaflex. I'm pretty much pain free with these medications and only take the vicodin when absolutely necessary. Thank you for your concern though. I, also, do not get "high" from vicodin, nor do I take it while working.

Good for you. Sounds like you have a level head on your shoulders. I was not sure how you used the drug from your first post, and wanted to let you know the dangers of using it too much. Glad to hear the way you use it from your post, also so others do not get the wrong idea on using these types of pain medications. Have a good day. :)

My husband had to be on them for some blood drawn and it only made him very out of it. He just seemed like a completely different person, like he was drugged up, which in a way I guess that he was. I would never want him to be on it full time, he just worried me too much.

Vicodin and I have become close friends. I used to worry about addiction. now I worry about endless, excruciating pain. I don't know what I would do without it. It doesn't help enormously, just takes the edge off but I need it to get out of bed in the morning. I have no such energy spurt when I take it but I wish I did.
I have, for pain, taken vicodin with a beer. There was no change, no high, nothing good. I take it for pain only. Thank goodness; I would mismanage it if it made me silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back