Not open for further replies.

nhsososo4

Diagnosis
06/1995
Country
RSA
State
Western Cape
Fibromyalgia is one of the most difficult medicines to diagnose and to treat. At present doctors are even battling to figure it out whether the person is really suffering from this disorder, this is due to common nature of the symptoms associated with the disorder.

Doctors seem to be fighting a loosing battle as scientist are slowly running out of ideas. Due to this situation, many people have resorted to alternative medicines. Do you trust that they will be able to solve our problems. The other issue with alternative medicine is that the contents that are normally used are usually herbs that no one has heard of and research had not been done on. Therefore do you trust taking that route?

Fibromyalgia is one of the most difficult medicines to diagnose and to treat. At present doctors are even battling to figure it out whether the person is really suffering from this disorder, this is due to common nature of the symptoms associated with the disorder.

Doctors seem to be fighting a loosing battle as scientist are slowly running out of ideas. Due to this situation, many people have resorted to alternative medicines. Do you trust that they will be able to solve our problems. The other issue with alternative medicine is that the contents that are normally used are usually herbs that no one has heard of and research had not been done on. Therefore do you trust taking that route?

I do not trust alternative medicines, mainly because they are not all that alternative. Most of the medications used in Western Medicine are the concentrated, active ingredients found in plants. In other words, the alternatives are not so different from what the pharmacist dishes out.

I would have to agree somewhat with what Mercyl, says in regards to alternative medication. It might be because of the way I was raised and conditioned to at least try and trust my doctors to know something in regards to the medications they dish out, or because of my allergies. Having had bad reactions to regular meds I am a bit afraid of using some of the alternatives, mainly one because if something goes wrong I have no backup plan.

And too while some such as the herbal, might work out as some are spices and things I use in normal cooking, but then I am dealing with amounts much more than a recipe calls for. Others are too painful for me like having massages. Then there are always the ones that claim to completely heal, and thou I might be tempted, I usually back away from such claims. These again are personal choices that often test our patience and our pocketbooks.

We have to be careful with any treatments, as side affects can be mild or deadly. Research and trust your own judgement and ask your own doctors before trying anything new or different. :)

I guess I'm treating most of my health issues with alternative medication. Right now I'm taking something to get rid of some really stubborn cysts... apparently this medication I'm taking is or has been banned in France because a lot women died from blood clots caused by this medication... so I really don't trust medications. Most doctors never tell you how dangerous the meds you are taking can be... I guess some don't know or don't really care. That's the reason I avoid taking meds, unless it's truly necessary and when I do... I investigate all the possible side effects.

I guess it really depends on your definitely of alternative medicine. Am I going to a healer deep in the jungles of South America to get assistance? Nope. But am I actively seeking out as much information as I can get. My own doctor can't offer much assistance, so I've tried out different things. I've done acupuncture, reiki, and visited a herbalist. I've tried each of them and had differing results.

I find that the key ingredient of any of the success is me and my feeling towards it. If I'm open, then I can usually get some benefits. If I'm feeling skeptical, tired, grumpy, then I'll leave feeling deflated.

I don't have much faith in medicine, just the opposite. I have seen first hand the healing power of simply switching to an all organic low grain diet, and I've really come to see that the body is always trying to heal itself. When we remove junk that prevents the healing, that's when we get sick or struggle to fight back. That said, the body can still need help in the healing process even if you do treat your body really well.

Chiropractic care, cutting out grains and refined sugar and going totally organic, acupuncture, massage, and herbs have been the ONLY things that have helped me with all my issues. Changing my diet fixed my insomnia (and I never have eaten all that badly - no fast food due to allergy to corn.) On the contrary, I ended up in the ER after taking a really strong pain med. I vomited for 4 hours after a different ER episode where pain meds were pumped into me. Allergy meds gave me terrible hallucinations and made me exceptionally angry. Antibiotics caused increased pain and bleeding issues in my gut. Need I go on? I don't have good experiences with "conventional" medicine.

Sorry but I have little faith in the FDA and big pharma. I trust my own research more.

Hello,
I also generally prefer doctors medicine but then also if i didn't getting result then I'll have to take help of Ayurvedic herbs...

Do you trust conventional medicines? I'm not sure about how effective all of the alternative medicines are, but I am sure that nothing conventional medicine has tried has worked, so it's got to be better than that. I've found some things work, and others have too, so at least for us there is a certain degree of relief, which is better than nothing.

I would say it's ok, but I would not fully rely on it. I look at alternative medicine more of a supplement. I still think completely stopping your medications is not going to be beneficial as well. I would normally allow my supplements to work hand in hand with my regular medicines. Most doctors will not really stop you from taking supplements as well because they know it can help.

Mercy not looking for a an argument but you have all kinds of other ingredients such as binding agent and most man made drugs to not yield as much active ingredients as the actual plant material. Finally alternative meds do work for some of, but it is up to you to find the info that is out there and there is a ton of info on alternative medicine.

Besides the first medications were plants and roots. I will always trust the natural way over big pharma

Like someone's said what do you consider alternative. I am suspicious of all treatment. Even doctors can be subsidised by pharmaceuticals. Vitamin and suppliment companies are as huge as them too. They are all, at the end of the day after your money. If they can convince you that you need it, they rake in the cash.
In another post I mentioned a bit of a remission. At that time I was on very few drugs, I didn't need to watch my diet or fitness and I was feeling great.
Right now, and over the last three years, I am eating healthier than I have in my life, have a structured exercise plan and should be fit as a flea but have been having the worst Fibro effects of my life.

Saying that I will try things. I have tried Every diet that experts say can help. I try different vitimins suppliments and pharmaceuticals that doctors and the like suggest. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide what works best and take that action.
So yes I am distrustful.
There is a lot of snake oil merchantry out there, and from people we are supposed to trust, but saying that, with an elusive illness like ours you have to keep an open mind too don't you? Or you could miss out on that one thing that makes your life so much easier to manage.

you know? I do trust alternative methods. I have found that foods are simply one of the best ways to increase your health: blending and juicing. I don't know if you would consider this an alternative medicine. It's not, for it's use, but it may be considered alternative for fibro. Go into your doctor and get mold tests. Even if you do not think you are allergic, just go into your office and have yourself tested for molds. You might be surprised to find you have some mold allergies. if you do, then get the shots...strengthen your immune system, and stay away from foods that have molds in them. But try things, see what works. blending and juicing can help you if you have a leaky gut.

Coming from a family with a great deal of involvement in the medical field, I was taught to depend more so on traditional treatments as opposed to alternative. However, I have found throughout the years that a number of ailments have been cured or at least the symptoms temporarily alleviated with the help of alternative treatments. I am constantly looking for alternative methods that have been proven to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back