Not open for further replies.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ND
I did an experiment this week, after my acupunctureist told me to try it. I cut all grains out of my diet this entire week (I also do not eat corn, wheat, dairy, and soy due to allergies and intolerances.) I've been going through Cymbalta withdrawal this week too (been struggling with nasty headaches, bloating, skin trouble like acne, and extra fatigue), but my fibro pain has been manageable.Well, I ate an organic gluten-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free waffle this morning with a bit of real maple syrup (Namaste brand, honestly more delicious than normal waffles!) I felt pretty jittery and achy afterwards. A couple hours later I ate a second one (left over batter) and not only grew really itchy and irritable, but my fibro pain got way worse. I couldn't walk without nasty pain.

Have any of you tried any experiments like this with grains or flour? I don't know if it was an allergic reaction, since I do have so many allergies, or if there really is something to the idea of fibro pain being linked to eating grains. I know for a fact that MSG (aka yeast extract) causes the pain (read several books explaining the science of MSG causing Fibro,) but grains?

Thoughts?

I have lots of allergies and at different times have tested food like your doing. That is how I found out that I needed to avoid chicken and eggs, some gluten wheat products and regular milk and peanut butter. Between feeling really crappy after eating some foods, or breaking out in hives and swellings, it was avoid it or suffer.

Right now I am trying to cut back on sugar. This is hard, because sugar is in everything. But I noticed how much I was using just in my coffee and decided it was time to stop using it so much. Many foods are known to cause headaches, like chocolate and cheese, milk and other dairy products. Try and write down the foods you eat and the reactions if any you get from consuming them.

Sounds like your ahead of the game on this one, realizing the problem is half the battle. Good Luck! :)

I think it's great that you're experimenting. Of course, it's disheartening that it ended up causing you more pain than not. At different times, I've kept a food diet to try and track my pain triggers. I found that processed foods did not agree well with my body. I tend to cook all my own food at home and have a lot of positive results with this.

I know someone who does this kind of experimenting with foods. In her case, it's mostly for IBS, though, and the reactions that certain foods will cause with that.

To answer your question, I've not heard of a flour/grain connection to the degree of pain that is suffered, but everyone is so different, I can certainly see how a connection there would be possible.

I am a week into cutting back on eating sugar. Now of course I can not completely stop eating items with sugar in them, but I can limit or stop adding more to food items I make from scratch. Anyways, other than the muscle pain caused by the statin drug I was taking, I am acually feeling better healthwise as in curbing my appitite and eating smaller amounts but filling full and not wanting more.

Going off sugar is kind of like giving up a drug. My heart was racing and I was jittery and nervous the first couble of days. I have a lot of juices in my cupboard that have sugar in them and so I use a small amount in a big glass of water for a touch of flavor.

As for the grain/flour issue, I agree with the above post, that we all are different and I might be able to eat something that you are very allergic to, and the same in reverse. I read an article today that said only 1 in 2,500 people are allergic to wheat gulten. And that the media is making a big issue out of nothing to sell more products. You kind of have to weed out what works for you and what does not. That is what I am trying to do. :)

I've kept a journal to track pain, sleep, exhaustion, triggers, and food intake: I went gluten for 3 months and I actually felt worse. Cutting highly processed foods, soda, and increasing water intake, fresh produce, and non-animal proteins in a balanced diet that includes dairy and grains helps me feel the best.

Flour has two main things that can cause pain and inflammation to be worse than it must be. One is gluten and one is GMOs. Some people with fibromyalgia have a sensitivity to gluten. This does not necessarily translate into an allergy, but it might as well be. As far as GMOs go, well there are no direct links, so say the researchers and pharmaceutical companies. However, my own research, and that of many others is that GMOs are very bad for our bodies. There is a link between GMOs and fibromyalgia, they just don't want people to know it.

Fran, you are so right! I don't trust GMOs one bit! Of course all those companies want us to believe consuming them is safe! They're profiting with them at the expense of our health. GMOs have been linked to a lot awful diseases! Incluiding cancer, of course. But there still are people naive enough to believe GMOs are safe to eat and that pharmaceutical companies want nothing but our well being (yes, profiting comes later, much later, our health is first... right!). Ah well, I'm glad there are some people like you out there; people well aware GMOs are awful for our bodies.

Going off sugar is kind of like giving up a drug. My heart was racing and I was jittery and nervous the first couble of days. I have a lot of juices in my cupboard that have sugar in them and so I use a small amount in a big glass of water for a touch of flavor.

I couldn't agree with you even more! I'm also trying to cut my sugar intake... at least in half! But as you said: sugar is like a drug. Just this morning I was thinking of that while I was grocery shopping and had a yoghurt in my hand. Did I buy it? Well yeah :oops: I'm consuming sugar on saturday only :) The rest of the week I use Stevia for my fruit smoothies :)

Do you know that white flour is bleached with corn?

As far as GMOs go, well there are no direct links, so say the researchers and pharmaceutical companies. However, my own research, and that of many others is that GMOs are very bad for our bodies. There is a link between GMOs and fibromyalgia, they just don't want people to know it.

I have been hearing so much about GMOs... I think it's well past time that I should start doing a little research. Not necessarily fibro related (although if it could help my friends with fibro, it would be a bonus!) but because I'm hearing so much and feel totally out of the loop/in the dark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back