Evening nap makes me feel almost cured

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually sleep in the afternoon for a few hours. Very difficult for me to get up and cook dinner and get moving though.

So you have fibromyalgia yourself wulfman? I understood from your profile that it was a relative. Either cases, I think there must be something that can relieve the tiredness and the pain no?

I've had this happen to me a couple of times actually. I'm OK now but it is important that you are careful not to completely knock your sleep schedule out of whack with late in the day naps.

For sure. When I nap I need someone to wake me up or I am in trouble because I will go 6+ hours without even thinking about it.

So you have fibromyalgia yourself wulfman? I understood from your profile that it was a relative. Either cases, I think there must be something that can relieve the tiredness and the pain no?

No my aunt has it . I have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) though. My body is always weak and tired no matter how much sleep I get.

Yep, it's hard, but we can't let that the disease transforms us into anti-social beings, we need social insertion to fight it I believe.

For sure. When I nap I need someone to wake me up or I am in trouble because I will go 6+ hours without even thinking about it.

No my aunt has it . I have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) though. My body is always weak and tired no matter how much sleep I get.

So you can never just take a short 40 minute or 2 hour nap without falling into a much deeper sleep then?

Somewhat related. I've known people (and had it happen to myself once) end up having a gargantuan sleeping session of 16-18 hours after which their fatigue is somewhat permanently abated. It's just getting to that stage in the first place. People often try to stop themselves but some times it's what your body needs. However you have to be careful not to oversleep by doing this more than once.

Lucky you. I actually feel,worse after a nap. My sleep is horrible as I also have a sleeping disorder. Sleep study showed alpha-delta anomaly. Instead of brain waves dipping it spikes and no restorative sleep ;( Try sleeping wherever you are napping. Probably a comfy spot ;).

So that's an insight Veronica, I would expect that if you're tired and with pain sleep would actually help, but if you can't sleep when do you get any rest?

Lucky you. I actually feel,worse after a nap. My sleep is horrible as I also have a sleeping disorder. Sleep study showed alpha-delta anomaly. Instead of brain waves dipping it spikes and no restorative sleep ;( Try sleeping wherever you are napping. Probably a comfy spot ;).

If you feel worse after a nap why do you nap? Or is it simply a case of falling asleep without realising it and then waking up and feeling even worse? I don't think I could function without my naps. I am only 22 as well not 60.

I am sorry to hear it. I am still learning the basics, what is exactly the difference between fibro and CFS? It must be awful to be always tired. :(

I am sorry to hear it. I am still learning the basics, what is exactly the difference between fibro and CFS? It must be awful to be always tired. :(

CFS is basically just a chronic lack of energy. Hence the name Chronic fatigue syndrome. Fibro is basically CFS with the addition of chronic pain. The two are similar and linked, but not exactly the same.

When I used to teach full time, I came home daily and took a nap. I felt energized. Currently, I am a substitute teacher. I have an evening job. I can no longer return home to take a nap. That is one of the reasons I feel so tenses. I have an hour and a half between jobs. Yet, I do not feel comfortable enough to nap between jobs.

When I used to teach full time, I came home daily and took a nap. I felt energized. Currently, I am a substitute teacher. I have an evening job. I can no longer return home to take a nap. That is one of the reasons I feel so tenses. I have an hour and a half between jobs. Yet, I do not feel comfortable enough to nap between jobs.

Have you not considered taking a short 20-30 minute nap? Perhaps even better still, just lying down and closing your eyes for 20 minutes can make you feel incredibly energised. Even so it would still be best to set an alarm just in case you did fall asleep.

I know exactly how you guys feel about needing that late afternoon nap. It makes things so much better, it is needed, at least it helps me, I feel just a bit refreshed though, but I am able to stay up later, I try to get into the mood to get things done, but this disease is not an easy one, by no means. Sometimes I feel bad for taking a nap, but I know that if I do not take that nap, that I would be of no use to my family.

I think you should not feel bad about taking the nap, if the body is needing we should respect that need, rest is very important.

I find that the days when I only get 8 hours sleep I have to nap for 1-2 hours in the afternoon.... and it does really help. Late afternoons and evenings are my best time of day. I sleep 8-11 hours at night and wake up unrefreshed, still need to take a morning and afternoon rest/nap each day.
I can't believe how much sleep and rest I need and yet still feel fatigued.......

I can't nap even if I'm dead on my feet I wish I could .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back