Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2006
Country
US
State
New Mexico
I am new to the forum and like what I have read so far. I am in a major flare since February (2014) due to a series of stressful events. Within 18 months my husband suffered a heart attack (had 2 stents placed) and also underwent treatment for prostate cancer. (He is doing well currently). Then in early February i received word that my Mother had died. She had been in fairly good health for her age and still lived on her own so it was very shocking. The next day the fibro symptoms kicked in and I am still miserable.
I have the typical numerous sore points along with major anxiety. I visited the local ER three times since Feb. with symptoms that imitated heart problems. I had tests which only showed elevated blood pressure and was finally referred to a cardiologist. I am still struggling to find a blood pressure med that doesn't give me anxiety symptoms.
I feel as though I take two steps forward and then back one or more!
The only med a family doctor wanted to prescribe for the fibro was Cymbalta and when I declined she said, "Then you only have one other option and that would be Lyrica. Needless to say I did not return there.
Anyone else with the high blood pressure which seems to increase with the aches and pains and also entering the doctor's office?
Thanks for allowing me to tell my story! P.S. Are you surprised to know that I am a senior citizen and receive Medicare? Fibro affects all ages.

Gmom,
Hello and welcome to the forum. I do not suffer from high blood pressure, but like you I am a senior that has had fibro for over 30 years. I take Neurontin for pain, along with Excedrin migraine over the counter medication for pain as needed. But if you read around the forum you will find some other things to try to relieve pain in the alternative methods topic and under pain management and in the general questions section.

I understand your not wanting to risk the use of some of these drugs and I hope you will find some coping skills that will reduce your pain. Look around the topic areas for more chats concerning the different meds, and about problems with high blood pressure and maybe other members with the same problems can or have offered advice on that condition.

Look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

Gnom, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are going thru this! It really seems that stress and anxiety are connected to fibro flares, I always get a flare when something traumatic happens. Sorry to hear you doctor said that, today a doctor said something very similar to me. Some people are jerks!

My mom is a senior citizen, by the way, so I understand why are you nervous to give those meds a go! She almost dies the other day because she took a flu medication that isn't intended for seniors! I'm so lucky she is still here! She also has blood pressure issues, so yeah, you need to be careful with that!

Welcome, Gmom! I'm so sorry to hear about all these things you have had to go through in such a short time. :cry: I am also sorry for your loss of your mother.

I agree with your decision about not returning to that doctor. I'm not one to ever buy that "only one other option" line because it's generally not true. Maybe one option with the drugs that doc is required to push, but often not a literal "one option." Or at least that's what I have concluded in life. :smile:

I am new to the forum and like what I have read so far. I am in a major flare since February (2014) due to a series of stressful events. Within 18 months my husband suffered a heart attack (had 2 stents placed) and also underwent treatment for prostate cancer. (He is doing well currently). Then in early February i received word that my Mother had died. She had been in fairly good health for her age and still lived on her own so it was very shocking. The next day the fibro symptoms kicked in and I am still miserable.
I have the typical numerous sore points along with major anxiety. I visited the local ER three times since Feb. with symptoms that imitated heart problems. I had tests which only showed elevated blood pressure and was finally referred to a cardiologist. I am still struggling to find a blood pressure med that doesn't give me anxiety symptoms.
I feel as though I take two steps forward and then back one or more!
The only med a family doctor wanted to prescribe for the fibro was Cymbalta and when I declined she said, "Then you only have one other option and that would be Lyrica. Needless to say I did not return there.
Anyone else with the high blood pressure which seems to increase with the aches and pains and also entering the doctor's office?
Thanks for allowing me to tell my story! P.S. Are you surprised to know that I am a senior citizen and receive Medicare? Fibro affects all ages.
Interesting to hear your story about high blood pressure. I also have high blood pressure that seems to me to be resulting from fatigue and pain. I also had trouble with the first med prescribed to me. When I took it in the morning, I was soooo sleepy most of the day. I started taking it before bedtime, thinking it would help me go to sleep, but I had anxiety issues and kept waking up to a startle as if I had a nightmare with pain crawling in my head. I forgot to take it one night and did not have those symptoms so I decided not to take it anymore. My new doctor put me on a low dose diuretic, which has given virtually no side effects. I only go to the bathroom more often. I also lost my mother unexpectedly 10 months ago. I believe this was the trigger that sent me to soaring fatigue and pain until recently...my first flare. For the past month, my fibro symptoms have been very mild and much more tolerable. I also have so far declined medication and am hoping to be able to do so as long as I can. I would not have been able to resist medication a few months ago though. I am currently researching exercise for fibro patience and looking at altering my diet. Right now I am walking and cutting out aspartame sweetener and caffeine. Working on just a few changes at a time. I am really interested in going gluten free.
Good luck to you and look forward to hearing more from you.
Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back