Pain medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on 4 tramadol for a few years. I wouldn't take more even when I needed them. And coming off those few was hell.
But I have to take pain meds everyday just to move. My brother was a drug addict and died at 37.so taking pain meds really bothers me.
Bus as my Dr told me once , do u want to live in pain or not.
I don't no anyone who enjoys taking any meds.i think if u can live without them that's great , but if u can't don't beat yourself up, this illness is hard enough as it is.

I'm taking 2 or 3 tramadol a day without much relief I'm very sore particularly during the night I can't sleep for the pain but after the withdrawal symptoms from the dihydrocodine contius 120 mg I'm only taking tramadol sparingly even though daily life is getting tough with no sleep fatigue and pain no different than most members of this forum

Grean Bean, have you tried Lyrica or Cymbalta? I found some success with Lyrica, then it didn't seem to work so my doctor changed me to Cymbalta. I think for many it helps significantly. I still have to take pain meds but without the other, it would be way worse. Just a thought.

No my gp says that the medication I'm on is the best way forward for me as I cant take certain meds due to allergy that I have with anti inflammatory meds I've thought about cannabis but it is not legal to do so over in the UK I don't want to be changed with a criminal offence so it's a no no

Wouldn't it be great if we all could cope without pills. Sadly a lot of us can't.and yes I came off my pills and for a few weeks I felt great, but when fibro did jump on me again I felt in so much pain I new how much the pills were helping me. I have no problem saying I take pain med everyday.
Twices aday .sure I could take a lot more but like most ppl I try to cope without.theres such a stigma that admitting u need pills make us feel weak.
No one knows your pain better then you , so if u need meds take them ,and if u don't rejoice you don't yet have to.

Hi guys. I have a question on opiates replacement. My boyfriend wants to start using LDN because we've heard many positive testimonies about Fibromyalgia patients taking it and it can even take away 80% of the pain. No benefit for medical world in it because it's very cheap and studies cannot show why it works. But you can't use it with opiates. Has anyone you have any luck with pain medicine other than opiates, if it's natural it's better, recently? Oh my word we are so desperate.

What is LND .?. Only thing that helps me is tramadol I take four a day .

I do not agree with you one bit. I am addicted to Marlboro's. I was on pain pills for years. My doctor took me off them 2 years ago and no problems here. I am on soma's that help to a point. Been on them now for 15 years. I ran out 2 months ago and had to wait for 2 weeks to get them refilled and I did not have any problems not having them either. Only problem I am having is the pain. It never goes away no matter what I take, it just is not as bad. If anyone would have gotten addicted to any Med's it would be me. I have never been addicted to anything but cigarettes.

Sick n tired, everyone if different, I went through hell coming off tramadol , but I can light a cigarette and then not look at one for weeks at a time.

Here is my take on addiction. The classic addict uses drugs to escape life either for fun or due to a failure to problem solve, at least in the beginning. If you take the same medication to engage in life and lead a normal life, I don't think we should think of it in terms of addiction. People with mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, are prescribed medication for life, yet we do not call them drug addicts. The drugs keep them "normal" and allow them to live normal lives. When they refuse to take the medication is when all the problems develop. On medication, they can hold down jobs and have long lasting, meaningful relationships. Ask yourself if you are a better parent, better spouse, better employee, better friend when you are on medication? Also if you think you will live longer without meds, maybe it just seems that way because of the long drawn out suffering.

I myself have had too much trouble coming out of pain killers. I was somehow addicted too. To answer your question, yes they are a short cut but coming off of pain killers is not that easy. Rehab might be the solution for most of us.

Link Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
People with fibromyalgia don't respond well to opioids. So instead, try one of the 3 medications specifically for this disease.

Green Bean,

Lyrica and Cymbalta are not anti-inflammatories. They moderate the neurotransmitters.

I would encourage EVERYONE to research medication and other treatment modalities on your own. You are your own best advocate and have a bigger stake in your treatment than any doctor does. You have more time and motivation to study this disease than they do. Discuss what you learn with your doctor. Take control of you treatment instead blindly accepting what an authority figure tells you. You will be amazed at how you feel about fibromyalgia when you overcome the feeling that you are a victim. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error to find out what helps. Don't be afraid to try new things.

My story goes like this. I had double knee replacement last July and suffered pain post-op which was managed with opioids. After awhile these drugs seemed less effective and my progress plateaued and then reversed with pain increasing in my back and shoulders which was worse than my legs. My surgeon continually threatened to take away all pain medication. Knowing I was scheduled to return to work in January, I became extremely depressed and suicidal. The pain would wake me up and I could not sleep for hours. I had always been pain tolerant (I once did not believe I had a fractured wrist until radiographs showed three fractures.). My surgeon blamed my problems on non-compliance which I could not understand. Finally I went to my primary care physician who diagnosed fibromyalgia. I started Cymbalta at 9 pm and went to bed only to wake up at 11 pm pain free. I had a good nights sleep. I was giddy with joy and hugged my doctor the next day for ending my misery. I could once again envision the life I had planned. When I went back to confront my surgeon, I could tell that she did not believe there is such a disease as fibromyalgia. I am willing to forgive her if she learns something from my experience.

Well I no for me tramadol is the only thing that gets me through the day

Brenwood I'll read a bit of information about the meds you have suggested and if I think it's the way forward I'll speak to my gp about them thanks and merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back