Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
Oregon
Hi, I have fibromyalgia, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, migraines and some endocrine diseases. I am 32 and I just finished graduate school. I should be launching my career, but because of my health issues, I am doing nothing. I DESPERATELY want to be working. The biggest problem I have is fatigue.

The thing is, as most of you surely know, fatigue can mean anything from a little slump to being unable to sit up. Because of the word's vagueness, I want to ask if my level of fatigue sounds consistent with fibro. I am always exhausted. It's always a fight to stay up. But every month or two I have a couple weeks where I sleep 16-20 hours per day. I'm hardly awake at all and the excessive sleep makes me very upset. I get so frustrated but nothing helps. Not even prescribed stimulants.

Is that a kind of fatigue other people get with fibro? If it is, then maybe fibro treatments will help. But if it's different or worse than the fatigue associated with fibro, then I need to figure out what's causing it so I can fix it. Again, I unfortunately do have fibromyalgia, along with pain galore, but I'm uncertain whether that's the reason I sleep 5/6 of the day when in a flare. Thanks.

I am always exhausted. I feel like i used when i would climb a mountain or hike for miles. I do sleep a lot during flares. If you haven't had a sleep study done, you might ask to see if anything else is going on. Studies have shown that fibro folks don't get enough of the deep sleep (not REM) that you body needs to recover. You might have other sleep problems.

The information i got from the Pain management group I go to says fibro has the type of fatigue that even if you do get a full
nights sleep you still get up feeling unrested and you feel like you were hit by a truck. It describes fibro like everything hurts,
irritable everything, I concur with this statement. I also have Crohns disease so it is pretty much a party everyday! Really,
some better than others. I'm sorry you have such problems, even with the pain meds I am on, there is still the fatigue, sometimes
sheer exhaustion, as if you have gone through a major surgery and someone forgot to tell you.
Good luck, stay in touch.

P.S. i forgot, I too can sleep 2 to 3 days almost the entire day and night, nut then i might stay awake 36 hours or more
unable to sleep or maybe sleep 3 to 5 hours. This is normal for fibro I think, at least the sleepless part.

LOFTPAT - yes what you describe is fatigue, no energy, loss of coordination and the ability to sleep over 12 hours and still feel unrefreshed. Im currently struggling with this at the moment after over doing things recently. Congratulations you have got your qualifications and in terms of employment have you ever thought of setting up your own business from home? This would ensure that you could work at your own pace and accommodate your fatigue issues. THANK GOD for this forum - ive just slept 8 hours and have to go back to bed which may be another 6 hours so i can at least have some energy to cook the evening meal!

When you sleep for 10 hours and still have trouble getting up that signifies chronic fatigue. When you have muscle aches and just get tired from doing some simple household chore that signifies fatigue syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back