Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally i believe that falling asleep on the wheel irrespective of any situation whether sick or not should be considered as a very dangerous thing to happen with any one so my advice is if it continues to happen regularly try and see a physician.

I think we all agree on that joshua, that is why people with fibro need to have special care to see if they are in conditions to drive.

I think this is one of the most serious consequences of chronic fatigue and it's really sad that this can happen even if we are properly rested. I'd say always try to drive with someone next to us who can help if they see we are just too tired.

Thank you all so much for the responses! What I've been doing lately is making sure I have a drink in the car with me, and if I feel myself start to get tired, I will take a sip (usually it's just ice water or a breakfast smoothie). Doing something besides just sitting there has really helped a lot. It still boggles the mind though. I can have a full night's sleep, be eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and taking my fibro medication and STILL feel like I could fall fast asleep at any given moment.

I give up driving because of felling to sleep and I used to ride my motorbike god I miss it. But better safe then sorry

I have had several episodes of passing out. I used to have to force myself to get up and go to work. Several times (before leaving for work), I passed out. I had two episodes where I was driving and could feel myself starting to get woozy so I pulled over. One time it happened just as I was pulling into my work parking lot. I got to my office, had to sit there for a while and ended up only working for an hour or so before needing to go home. Another was when I was enroute. Both times I could feel it coming on so was able to pull over. The second time after coming too, I sat there for a while, then turned around and came back home. Fatigue is one of the reasons that I can't work. The fatigue is so intense for me that not working has done wonders in that I can lay in bed if I need to and have (sometimes all day). I have only had one episode since July (which is when I stopped working). I was home and had a doctor appointment. I was trying to push myself through the fatigue, felt woozy and down I went. I called my parents, who live through the trees next door and mom was available to drive me. Whenever I've had those episodes, they wipe me out for the rest of the day. I would suggest talking to your doctor about it, but it's probably like my passing out, there's likely nothing they can do...You won't know until you talk to them though....

I also had a problem falling asleep... Then one day on my way back from work i felt so tired i decided to stop and have a rest. But just as i aproached the parking my brain half asleep..i drove through a gap in the hedge having missed the main entrance.. crashed over a log and came to a halt without hitting any thing else.. This shook me up and told me that even working on alternate days ( mon.wed.fri) was too much for me..and i had to stop working.
So now fibro had reached the point in my life when i could no longer work. But at least I was not going to fall asleep at the wheel traveling 50 miles to work.
But letting your self get to that point is DANGEROUS it could have ended very differently..We are not capable of making the right decisions when suffering from chronic fatigue. So we have to be responsible and change how we live with fibro..
I still get tired and have to rest. Sometimes if awoken too soon i feel really bad..but my family now know to leave me untill i awake on my own. But any driving has to be done with the understanding that either i stop or someone else takes the wheel if i feel tired.
A change in medication helped me be more awake after sleeping, and not waste hours trying to get up out of bed...But if im feeling tired i have another nap..
The only cure for Chronic fatigue is rest. Things only get done when you feel ok and start moving again, then as long as you are active i find i can keep going but when i stop the body shuts down again...and if you did too much then you will get chronic pains and fatigue.
Managing Fibromalignia is about resting, doing rewarding jobs but in moderation and not over doing it. Trying to have some sort of routine, and do a little every day. You can increase the level bit by bit and not overdoing it..Yes i know when you feel better you want to get as much as possible done.But thats counter productive if over done..And we are poor at deciding when enough is enough..So plan ahead and just set small achievable targets, punctuated by things jou enjoy doing to get the satisfaction level up...
This is the way to manage fatigue..and get a few things done as well.

Very well put Minilandrover. I'm so glad nothing happened to you or anyone else and that you were able to recognize the danger in driving with that condition. Take care and keep looking for ways to improve your life. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back