Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
PA
As many of you know from my former posts I am dealing with high cholesterol and finding I can not tolerate the extra joint and muscle pain brought on by the different statin medications. Each one I use lasts a good 5-6 days and then the pain is unbearable and I end up quitting the drug.

My doctor recently wanted me to try a different kind that supposedly does not cause muscle pain, but my co-pay was $285.00, thus I could not afford to buy it.

I went to the drug store and ask about using Red Yeast Rice. I was told that it works for some but not all, and the side effects would be mild. Also suggested was taking Co Q-10, as well as, garlic with it and I may have some success. I started using the Red Yeast Rice and found after 4 days I had some muscle pain and some fullness feeling in my bowels. The muscle pain was not real bad, but the other side effect bothered me a lot and so I stopped taking it to see if it cleared up and it did.

My question is have any of you tried using this herbal medication and did you have any success or side effects? I am considering starting to take it again if I can find a way to stop the bowel symptom from happening. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

The muscle pain that one gets is usually piling on top of my fibro pain and makes everyday a bad one. So anything you have tried or ways to cure side effects would be very helpful. :)

Have you tried fish oil to increase omega 3? I take it to help keep levels in check. Watch your omega 6s, though. They can increase inflammation. Also lots of garlic, nuts everyday, green tea. Eat lots of soluble fiber which is supposed to lower cholesterol (beans, lentils, apples, oats, barley, citrus). Try flax seed in your cereal. Beware, it can make you gassy. And watch those refined carbs. I've lowered mine to normal levels. My doc wants more, but I'm not going there. I've always eaten well, high cholesterol is also hereditary. No more meds, god knows I'm on enough.

Oh yeah. I read somewhere that the red yeast rice has the same thing in it that some statin meds do. This may be your problem with it. Hope you find something that works for you.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am already eating some of what you mentioned but will try and add flax seed. Also was told to eat more fish or take fish oil and garlic, Co-QC10. The Red Yeast Rice has about 1.2 mg's of a statin in it and pain was it was bearable. But the gas build-up was uncomfortable. I think to that the stress in caring for my mom is helping raise it as well. My doctor does not believe in the use of alternatives compared to name brand expensive meds so I am trying to work out a good mix and with diet changes to help.

Any other comments are most welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back