Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
US
State
VA
I have never liked going to the doctor and usually only go once a year for an annual physical/check-up. I have 'complained' in the past to my family physician about muscle soreness, tiredness and stiffness. I was referred to a rheumatologist who barely did a thorough exam. The points where he touched me were hardly touches...so I presented with no pain during the tender point exam. The visit to a rheumatologist was back in 2007.

I have interrupted sleep through the night, fatigue, soreness in back, neck, hips, knees and ankles. Frequent muscle knots/spasms in my upper back and frequent 'major' headaches. I see a chiropractor who adjusts my upper neck - usually that will alleviate the headache. But the soreness in my major joints - is not really in the joint but the area around the joints. If I go to the gym and walk on a treadmill or do any light physical activity, the next few days my muscles are so sore I can barely walk!

My upcoming annual physical is in February 2015. I am hesitant to 'complain' again to my doctor. I feel like I cannot convey in words how to explain the daily pain. I found this board today and hopefully I can gather more information to help me.

Does anyone else out there with fibromyalgia feel like they are complainers or feel like they are labeled as a complainer? Every day there is something that hurts and I wondered if there were any other people out there like me.

Keep pushing for an answer. Something is going on, even if it is not fibro. The touch test your rheumy did was the standard 18 point test. It still is the gold standard for some docs, although many more are now using a functional assessment test. I've had the touch test done six times and registered ouchy! pain each time. Some with all points and two with 16. I believe 11 out of 16 is the magic number. But I know some have been diagnosed with no tender points pain. Hope you've had all the typical rule out blood work done for things like RA and Lyme disease. Have you had a sleep study done? Poor sleep on a bad bed can cause a lot of pain, stiffness and exhaustion. Good luck!

I say, Complain till someone really listens!. I only had 9of 18 points but was already on a drug patch for other chronic problems. Didn't think it a fair assessment. Was diagnosed in spite of it as I had ALL the rest. One thing I have stopped doing though is complain to my husband and family. If I am tired of this I know they are!

It's the age old thing isn't it he who shouts loudest gets heard, really is that simple.if u don't speck up for yourself then no one else will.x

I have never liked going to the doctor and usually only go once a year for an annual physical/check-up. I have 'complained' in the past to my family physician about muscle soreness, tiredness and stiffness. I was referred to a rheumatologist who barely did a thorough exam. The points where he touched me were hardly touches...so I presented with no pain during the tender point exam. The visit to a rheumatologist was back in 2007.

I have interrupted sleep through the night, fatigue, soreness in back, neck, hips, knees and ankles. Frequent muscle knots/spasms in my upper back and frequent 'major' headaches. I see a chiropractor who adjusts my upper neck - usually that will alleviate the headache. But the soreness in my major joints - is not really in the joint but the area around the joints. If I go to the gym and walk on a treadmill or do any light physical activity, the next few days my muscles are so sore I can barely walk!

My upcoming annual physical is in February 2015. I am hesitant to 'complain' again to my doctor. I feel like I cannot convey in words how to explain the daily pain. I found this board today and hopefully I can gather more information to help me.

Does anyone else out there with fibromyalgia feel like they are complainers or feel like they are labeled as a complainer? Every day there is something that hurts and I wondered if there were any other people out there like me.

I have exactly like you for years! I feel I am labled more of a complainer then anything else. I can't exactly help if every other moment I am in pain. Most of the time I would rather be in bed then being judge by people that have no idea how my days are. I have had a couple people close to me just say that I needed to just get over it and have a life. Its cruel

Definitaly not an easy road. I had to tell my dr. to shut up and listen before I was taken seriously. Have to switch dr.s so I hope this new one listens.

Mike I wish I could do that. But I am stuck with the doc I have unless I go to the city. He makes me feel ignorant and that I am crazy. On the other hand my rheumatologist is on board with it and has been very supportive.

thank you for the replies and support. My doctor visit is 9 February.

Hi Carolyn,

I know exactly how you feel about not being heard by your Doctor. I've suffered from IBS since 1996, long before it was recognized as an actual syndrome, and after years of reporting the same symptoms, I was labeled as stressed, depressed, PMSing, and hysterical. I felt like I was in Freudian times... now there are commercials for FDA approved meds on TV. I lost my faith in western medicine, although sometimes it is our best option.

Just a suggestion-- for the next 2 weeks, what if you created a chart with the date at the top and your symptoms on the left? Each day, you record what symptoms you experience and the severity level. Like, on a scale from 1-5, a migraine is a 5. Then you could show your Dr. the chart which would clearly indicate how disruptive and pervasive your symptoms are. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it could help get the point across that the aches, fatigue, and insomnia are a difficult and daily struggle.

Best regards and good luck!

Just a thought of course they think we are complainers. When you go to see any doctor their first question is usually, "What are you complaining about today" or "What is your complaint." Used to make me mad when the tone or manner of the doctor was such that showed he thought I was just one of those all time complaining people who are just wasting doctors time. As if we have money to blow on their office fees. It was really depressing and hard on my self-esteem to be labeled a chronic complainer. Getting the fibro diagnosis does not seem to change their manner or office rudeness.

There are a few doctors out there that try to be helpful to us who need their help. :)

Hi Carolyn,

I would say for sure stick with that doctor if they are good as they are hard to find! And absolutely reiterate how you are feeling as it is very real. Keep pushing and dont give up until you get answers . It took me a long time to get a diagnoses, many many doctors and appointments until I felt that I was finally heard. I still feel apprehensive about complaining to the doctors when I see them, but I know how I feel is horrible and not normal in any way. Keep pushing for sure and dont give up :)

Lyndsey xo

I like the journal idea. Other thoughts....I always go in with a list of what I want to be sure and talk about. How about come up with some examples of something he can relate to pain wise and associate it with what you are going through. That's what I had to do. My doc was always good about referring me, but I finally realized he didn't understand so.....I'm educating him and he's getting it. Keep up with it and don't let them make you feel like a complainer. You're an educator of your body......Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back