What do you do for vacation? Yes, I am being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SierraTrout

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
Hi again everyone. Since I became ill two years ago, my husband and I haven't been on a vacation. We've scheduled two but had to cancel. He has accumulated a lot of vacation hours and periodically asks if I want to go somewhere. Much of the time I can't imagine sleeping anywhere but my own bed, but there are also times when getting away from home -- where I feel trapped most of the time -- sounds like a good idea. My husband likes road trips but car riding can be painful on my hips and neck. Even air travel seems overwhelming: waiting in long lines, loud noises, airport over-stimulation. And I worry that the extra activity involved with travel will bring on a major flare.

What do you guys do? If you can't travel, do your spouses/partners go on vacations without you? I don't want to hold my husband back from vacations that he has worked hard for. Thanks for your input.

We usually go camping to fish or -for him-hunt. When hunting, I just go along so he won't be alone. We now have a 5th wheel trailer that I'm comfortable in. I read, crochet, take little walks with my dogs, take naps. When fishing, I sometimes fish in the boat but just as often stay in camp. I'm not as much help in setting up camp as I used to be but my husband is willing to take on most the work.

We haven't had a vacation either for many years....longer days out in the UK was all I could manage.

My partner still goes away on a golfing holiday with his golf pals every year and away to visit his son and grandson the other end of the UK.....it' too long a journey for me and staying in a very hectic household with dogs and kids noisy and racing around for several days is more than I can handle now.

We have in the past undertaken a shorter journey and stayed in a comfy country cottage for a holiday...that way i can still chill out and rest plenty but we are in a change of environment to explore.

Ruralchick, the 5th wheel sounds like a great idea; it's kind of a home away from home (unfortunately one is not in our budget right now but I can still dream). I'm glad you and your husband can still do the things you have always enjoyed doing together. Backpacking and tent camping used to be our thing. I remember when a fallen tree trunk or a flattened boulder was the perfect place to sit!

Willow, sorry to hear you've been vacation-deprived for a while, too. My hubby is getting ready to go camping by himself for two nights. He loves to camp so I encouraged him to go. I feel happy for him but sad that I can't join him; and I'm worried that the loneliness in the evenings without him will swallow me whole. On some days he's the only human contact I have as I can't always leave the house. Your cottage vacation sounds nice and like something I might be able to handle. California certainly has endless places to explore.

I know what you mean SierraTrout....with this condition and unable to occupy yourself being on your own 24/7 can feel very lonely.

I miss holidays very much too.

I schedule a day of rest before and after the vacation.

That is a great idea. Thank you!

Yes, I always need a vacation from the vacation! Even though most the stuff stays in the trailer, the loading of food and clothes takes a lot out of me. I used to own horses and ride from 2-5 hours daily, covered a LOT of trail. I couldn't do that now!

I understand how you feel. My son wants me to come to Rhode Island from Florida (in November) to there when his first child is born. Believe me I want to be there for that. I don't know how yet.
How about finding a nice bed and breakfast. I know its not camping but maybe one in the country side. Just a thought.
Gentle hugs to you.

PattiD, that would be a huge dilemma for me, too, especially since I don't have any grandkids yet. Hopefully he has an extra bedroom where you could quietly rest? If he doesn't, I would be tempted to stay in a motel in order to have some control over my environment. I know how important these family events are. Last month one of my sons graduated from college and I barely made it through the ceremony. I was exhausted beforehand from the car ride there, the crowded parking lots, and the long walk to the arena; then had a hard time sitting through the actual ceremony surrounded by all the shouting and clapping. Took me a few days to recover but worth it. I'm hoping that your symptoms will be stable and manageable as the birth approaches so it will be an easier decision for you.

We go to a holiday camp.we have a swimming pool with slide for little one.and the beach right next to us,we also have a little disco in the early evening ,so my little girl can go shake her stuff.by 8.30 ,I'm back inside the caravan, she's fast asleep and I sit with a cup of tea and a book.
It's simple but it works.
And I can go at my own pace.

Forgetmenot, those holidays sound perfect for you and your daughter. I really admire those who are suffering from FM and having to take care of and meet the needs of others. I can barely take care of myself. The pool, beach and disco sound lovely. I hear the word "pace" used a lot in this forum, something I've never done but am getting a crash course in now. I've never had to pace myself before and it's driving my crazy. I'll still get these surges of adrenalin when in certain situations (usually around others or when out and about) and the adrenalin can temporarily dull the pain and fatigue. This leads me to overdoing it and paying for it dearly later. I'm learning to get more rest than I think I need -- kind of like putting money in the bank. Have a wonderful Sunday.

I have dad to cancel a couple vacations before! So now I do not cancel, I just go pain or no pain. If I didn't, my husband and I would never
be able to go anywhere! I can be in pain here or there! No more canceled vacations here! Take extra medicine !

You are so determined Forgetmenot...it does sound like a perfect way to take a vacation with a little one.

We're all about the family stay-cations. My parents-in-law live about 5 hours from us, so when we need to get away, we tend to visit them. It's close enough that the drive doesn't do too much damage to my pain levels, and since we're staying with family, it's low-key and relaxing. Plus, my in-laws are happy to take the kiddos to the park or fishing or outside to play so I can rest or take a nap. It's perfect for us.

However, we are planning a BIG road trip in October for my college reunion and to visit my mother and siblings. I've already warned the wifey that we're going to have to stop frequently (20 hour drive altogether), and we're only planning one "thing" each day while we're in town. Thankfully, my family knows I have fibro, and they're just going to have to be understanding when I have to stop for a few minutes on a bench on the college campus before we go on to the next thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back