Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
WA
Hello all. I feel like you are all wonderful people as you are here to help each other and to offer advice and comfort. I am 64 years old and have been diagnosed with fibro since approximately 2010. I have generalized pain, centered mostly in the legs and hips, ribs, and shoulders. I have tried numerous meds and frequently have paradoxical reaction to many. In other words I react backwards. Meds for sleep keep me awake. Pain meds often do not work. Meds for restless leg syndrome keep me awake. It is very frustrating and discouraging. Luckily I have a very supportive husband who helps me as much as he can. I was fired from my job because I could no longer keep up the pace, meet the goals set for me, and had difficulty concentrating and comprehending the methods needed to perform appropriately. Now I have discovered I also have 3 bulging discs one of which is encroaching on the spinal cord. So this extreme pain is adding to the fibro pain as well as arthritis in the right hip. I now use a cane to walk. I applied for disability after losing my job and am now at the hearing phase of the process. I would like to know if there is someone who can give me advice on the appearance before a judge and pleading my case for why I deserve disability. I started collecting social security last year so we could have additional income. I am an RN and was the primary wage earner since my salary was larger than my husband's. I know many of you have probably gone thru this already and hope you may be able to give me some encouragement and advice.

Pookie

Hi Pookie, in case no one else replies (I have zero experience with this, sorry), you may want to do a search on the site using "disability" 'social security" "SSDI" to find other posts and see members experience. In fact, I would do an internet search anyway for tips. Although I'm a bit confused, if you are collecting SS, why would you change over to SSDI, is it more money? I didn't even think it was possible, since I usually hear about people going on SSDI and then SS when they reach the appropriate age. Anyway, I think being a nurse will give you an advantage, as you will be better able to medically describe your problems and have more credibility.

I would definitely suggest getting yourself a disibilty claims lawyer, most don't get paid until you do. You've put in your time working as an RN and deserve this. Look into a lawyer, it could help you a lot.

thank you both for your responses. I do have a legal representative and they have been great. I was told by them that I could get SSDI as well as SS but they would combine the 2. I feel like it is more of a retroactive type of situation and would get compensated for the time before I started getting SS. I will try to post my experience with the hearing after it is all over so that others might can benefit as well. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back