Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
TX
This turned out a lot longer than I intended. TLDR: After many years of chronic pain I'm adding Fibro to my growing list of medical problems.

Went to see my Rheum today for my three-month checkup, she said my most recent pain is a Fibromyalgia flare-up and that we will treat me going forward for Fibro on top of my RA and TOS. I have put in a call to my Pain Management doctor to let him know.

I started having chronic pain a little over 10 years ago. It was in my back, shoulders, hands, knees, and hips. With xrays I was found to have degeneration to my joints and was referred to a rheumatologist who did testing and diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis. With treatment, the disease progress slowed/stopped but I continued to have pain and my rheum started cycling me through every muscle relaxer known to man along with tramadol. In 2008 I was put on Cymbalta to try to help with the pain as well as to treat my bipolar disorder. Cymbalta triggered a psychotic episode and I was quickly tapered off of it. In 2009 I developed optic neuritis and went 100% blind in my right eye. I was tested over and over again for a year for MS, which thankfully I do not have. I was treated for multiple infections and after a year my vision came back. My neuro-ophthalmologist suggested I go on Lyrica, I was on it for three months before it triggered another psychotic episode. After that I just decided to continue with the muscle relaxers and tramadol and deal with the pain. I did occasional stints in physical therapy as well which honestly did nothing for me.

In 2013 my rheum did some additional xrays and found that I have two extra ribs, when they grew they grew down into my collar bones and have compressed my nerve bundles. The only solution is to have the ribs removed, which I will do one day, but surgery is $$$ and the recovery time is long. I have a fantastic job, but I don't have the ability to take weeks on end off. My rheum thinks that the ribs help to exacerbate the pain.

Finally in 2016 my rheum decided there wasn't anything further she could do for my pain so she referred me to a pain management doctor. He had no answers but did put me on Nucynta ER.

Fast forward to today where I'm now diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My rheum is putting me on gabapentin as there is no way I can take Cymbalta or Lyrica again. We'll see how this works. I hope to find out more about Fibro here and to find a support community online.

Current meds:

Pain - Nucynta ER 150 twice a day. Tramadol 50mg as needed up to three times a day. Tizanidine 4mg as needed up to three times a day. Gabapentin 100mg once a day (to start, it will go up slowly per my rheum), diclofenac lidocaine cream as needed

RA is currently in remission, but I take Plaquenil still for it.

Pysch meds - Risperidone 4mg, Lamictal 150mg, Klonopin .5mg as needed, Lunesta 3mg, Vyvanse 40mg

Take rest properly! You will alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back