Reason
Caregiver
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ID
I have found out the hard way and so has the people who I care for that it is exhausting on the mind as well as the wallet when you hear that a supplement can possibly help and you go out and buy it then use it for some time and it yields no results. I think back to a phrase my uncle used to say , '' I feel like a kid in a candy store '' well to be honest that's what most people feel like when they enter a health store. There are so many medicines and supplements in just one building. I also know that some people have different types of Fibromyalgia, MS Multiple Sclerosis can be either mild or totally severe so some things that work on one person may not work on another person as well. When you really think about it most people either have really good health insurance where it does not hurt them financially to try those highly expensive or in some cases experimental medications or there are people with average health coverage that have just enough to get standard medication and treatment. I think that it is essential to never give up when fighting and trying to master and subdue to some degree the symptoms of Fibromyalgia, there will be a lot of things that won't work but there will be a percentage of things that could range from just a few things to maybe 40 things that can help. I have always been a caring person , maybe more caring than others who simply say it is not my disease I do not have to be an expert in it or research it , I solely trust medical science if they don't always have the answer how in the world can I? I have come to find out that it is sometimes the wrong way to think, without boasting about my personal character by in some ways making myself look good I will say it is not about me at all but about the people I know that are suffering, I can't help it because their fight instantly becomes my fight whether it be my Grandmother or the people at my job and I have had people come back and say Michael the item or method you told me to try really helped thanks, that is the greatest feeling to know that you overcame your fear of possibly being wrong and giving quality advice and you are not even a doctor but only a nurse and a researcher . My mindset comes from watching just about every military film ever made , what have I learned? that is try to research keep on trying when one thing does not work go back to the drawing board and in more than many cases if you see a need , sacrifice for your comrade and if they don't want to buy a supplement I usually buy it for them and send it as a gift , if it does not work who looses ?only me in most cases which is something I'm totally alright with.

I think you are totally right in what you say, about not giving up and keeping on fighting. Fibro is a hard battle because we really don't know for sure what is causing it, be it food or lack of some vitamin or mineral. Working too hard or not hard enough. People from all walks of life and ages, are coming down with fibro, and there is no cure. What amazes me for the most part is that those of us with it really loved working. And still do want to work, but our bodies and minds are protesting that wish.

I care for my mother who has memory problems and now falls, drop attacks that happen without warning. So I walk with her everywhere and catch her and set her gently down. Her doctor wants her in a nursing home and it is like he is awaiting the chance if she has one bad fall. But we are fighting back and using home health care with nurses and therapy. I know she feels less independent, yet is trying to understand how important it is to call for help instead of doing on her own. So the fighting goes on for each of us looking for that pill or supplement that makes our lives easier and better.

I do wish there was a cure for this disease so we could once again enjoy life to it's fullest measure. Anyways thanks for writing your thoughts on this subject and I am glad your here on this forum. :)

Michael, I applaud you for having so much initiative, specially nowadays when most people don't seem to have any kind of initiative at all. Kudos to you for doing what you do, I research lot as well, specially before going to see a doctor or whenever I'm diagnosed with something new, because I have learnt that most doctors aren't to be trusted at all. Can't trust the knowledge and trust of most doctors to be honest.

try to research keep on trying when one thing does not work go back to the drawing board

I agree that this is very important. The same thing isn't going to give relief for every person, so I thinking finding out what works in your own case... probably by a lot of research and trial and error, is vital to health but also to peace of mind.

I think that when someone gives up trying (whether fibro, another illness, or some other part of life) it's the saddest thing that can happen, because suddenly there's no HOPE left, and hope is so very important to hold onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back