Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
XO
While attempting to put the pieces of this fibro puzzle together for myself, licorice came to mind.

I remember reading once that licorice could cause adverse effects in some people: this is according to the University of Maryland Medical Center:

"Licorice with glycyrrhizin may cause serious side effects. Too much glycyrrhizin causes a condition called pseudoaldosteronism, which can cause a person to become overly sensitive to a hormone in the adrenal cortex. This condition can lead to headaches, fatigue, high blood pressure, and even heart attacks. It may also cause water retention, which can lead to leg swelling and other problems.

Although the dangerous effects mostly happen with high doses of licorice or glycyrrhizin, smaller amounts of licorice may cause side effects. Some people have muscle pain or numbness in the arms and legs. To be safe, ask your provider to monitor your use of licorice"

Now I don't take any licorice root supplements, but I am fond of black licorice candy.
I started eating a brand of licorice over the summer. I have since found that TWICE it was found to have elevated levels of lead, once being recalled by the FDA. Symptoms of lead poisoning are very similar to fibro symptoms: abdominal pain, constipation, muscle pain, pain/numbness/tingling, memory loss, decline in mental functioning, high BP.

OK, I don't want to be an alarmist, but it's just something to consider if you are thinking of taking supplements, or eating candy made with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back