Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
AL
I have mentioned here before that I was trying to change my doctor due to the overwhelming urge to knock the first one into the floor. On my last visit to him, he refused my request for a referral to a rheumatologist on the basis of "a rheumatologist only sees patients with rheumatological disorders and fibromyalgia is not one." He continued to tell me that my neurologist that diagnosed me should be treating me for it despite me telling him that the neurologist diagnosed me with 3 things, but is only halfway treating one. I finally got an appointment with a new doctor this week. I saw the nurse practitioner instead of the doctor himself(I don't have good history with LPNs), but she might actually make progress in helping me get treatment. She listened to what I had to say(mostly), asked several questions, and picked up on my depression during the visit. She told me that she wanted to get my records from my neurologist, do blood work, and put me on Effexor for the depression saying it also has been reported to help with fibro. She said once she looks at the records and lab results, if rheumatoid(which runs in my family) or anything else(I believe she's also looking into thyroid problems), she'll start me on Lyrica and get me to a rheumatologist, but she wants to ensure proper diagnosis first. I go back in 6 weeks, so we'll see how the new medication does until then. I just hope this is the beginning of getting something done towards helping me. I'm crossing my fingers that I've found a decent doctor, meanwhile I see my neurologist later this month.

A medical practitioner who really listens to you is so important!! I'm so glad you found someone who takes you seriously!

Thank you. It's only been the single visit so far, but she is definitely already listening and doing more than my last doctor did. I refused to go back to him after he denied my request for a referral to a rheumatologist with the reasoning of "rheumatologists don't treat fibromyalgia." I was lucky that day that I didn't end up in jail because I really wanted to knock him out! The new doctor doesn't come close to having a good bedside manner, but as long as she gives me results, I can deal with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back