Not open for further replies.

mweber

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
I would like to experiment with supplements in the hope of reducing some of the meds/painkillers that I am taking. Does anyone have any recommendation on what kinds of supplements work well to fight fibro pain?

I would suggest you read some of the back posts in the alterative medication topic. We had a topic going that really mentioned a lot of the different supplements that help with fibro. A friend told me about using ginger root capsules for pain. Vitamin C & D, can be worth taking just don't over do. Some folks think that if one is good for you, that a handful is better. Take it slow and easy and ask questions in places that sell them. then start with a few at one time until you see if they agree with you. :)

I agree with the advice to take it slowly. Whenever I try a new natural remedy, like the turmeric or ginger listed in another thread, I always start with the lowest dosage listed on the bottle. I also only add one new thing at a time. If the lowest dose doesn't cause anything terrible to happen after a couple of days, I work up to the full dose. My reasoning is that I have enough problems with pain - I don't need to have an allergic reaction or end up with something that makes me feel worse in some other way. You should also bear in mind that with natural remedies the relief is often slow. It can take as long as a month before you see a lot of improvement. Then you know it is working if you stop taking it later on and start feeling worse again.

I would welcome an alternative to vicodin. I wonder how long I can take it until I am hooked? Honestly, it just dulls the pain. It is not that great but I would be lost without it! I can't get out of bed without it.
I go to the rheum on the 16th. I hope he can give me something more effective and less addicting. He may be able to shed light on things like how much exercise is necessary and helpful? Should I push it even if it hurts or lay low? Is this disease affected by diet?

I would welcome an alternative to vicodin. I wonder how long I can take it until I am hooked? Honestly, it just dulls the pain. It is not that great but I would be lost without it! I can't get out of bed without it.
I go to the rheum on the 16th. I hope he can give me something more effective and less addicting. He may be able to shed light on things like how much exercise is necessary and helpful? Should I push it even if it hurts or lay low? Is this disease affected by diet?

Have you tried tramadol? I don't think it's quite as strong as vicodin and not as addicting. Although I do find after taking it a week straight, I have to lay off for a couple of days because I develop a tolerance for it.

I've been taking magnesium supplements for migraines, and it has helped my body aches a bit as well. If your joints hurt, I know others swear by glucosamine and/or chondroitin. My doctor recommends taking a Vitamin D supplement, but it is dangerous to overdose on that so I avoid it. Of course, ask your doctor before you try something new! If you're taking other meds, there may be interactions that you'd want to avoid.

I find supplements really helpful in managing my pain. Magnesium and Vitamin D in particular. I am taking a particular brand - I'm just not sure if it is okay to mention here.I find it's complete supplement really helpful.

I don't think I have the patience for a natural remedy although what are my options, truly? I want it fast and effective; free would be good as well. The trifecta of pain relief. For now, I stick with the tried and true, vicodin. Try to move, try to lose weight, try to endure.

I advise ginger, vitamin d, tumeric, marijuana / thc / marinol, vitamin b - all types of b, colloidal silver and even chlorophyll. I believe that all of these cleanse the body and relieve pain. In particular, colloidal silver is the best body cleanser. Marinol is quite intense for a pain killer but you could bake with thc instead or buy a vaporizer to smoke. I'm looking forward to the ensuing comments as I'm always looking to try a new supplement.

Just an FYI, I would suggest reading all the ingredients listed on vitamin bottles. A lot of them have inactive ingredients and also dyes that some may be allergic to or sensitive to.

Just an FYI, I would suggest reading all the ingredients listed on vitamin bottles. A lot of them have inactive ingredients and also dyes that some may be allergic to or sensitive to.

Always a good idea, absolutely. Plus there are some supplements that shouldn't be taken with certain pain medications. I know it's rare, but there's a reason that doctors ask about supplements now as well as what other medications are being taken.

yes, this is an excellent post. i am allergic to so many different things that i've made it a habit to read the ingredients on supplements and vitamins. i have allergies to nuts, fish, some citrus, and plenty else. great tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back