Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
Hello!

I am new to Fibromyalgia Forums. My GP is pretty sure I have fibro, and I'm seeing a rheumatologist soon.

My biggest concern right now is knowing more about what living with fibromyalgia is like, and how it effects your career or job? Are you able to work? What kind of jobs do any of you have?

Hiya.

I work as a medical secretary & do 30 hours a week. I usually manage alright unless I’m having a bad flare but I haven’t had one since starting CBD. I still have some pain & fatigue but nowhere near as bad.

What do you do for work?

Hi Lou,

Thanks for replying! I'm currently working for a retreat centre (sort of like a resort?) doing cleaning, but I'm finding I haven't been able to do it for about the last month or two as my symptoms get worse. I think I need to look for other work and I was just interested in finding out what others do, and what they find manageable!

Cleaning will be really hard work, I can imagine how you’re struggling with it a bit. My job does involve lifting heavy case notes and prolonged periods of sitting however I try to alternate what I’m doing when I can & try to move about a bit during the day to stop my joints from stiffening up.

Hi,

I am a full time customer service rep. I’m in constant pain all day but I basically fight through it. I have severe pain I’m my arms, neck, back, and knees and I rotate my heating pad all day. I’m currently seeing GP, rheumatologist, and neurologist. I’ve been on intermittent fmla for a year now and my job is flexible with me knowing my medical conditions. I also have a varidesk but doesn’t help much bc standing kills me more than sitting. I’m trying to do all that I can to prolong switching to part time or stopping work all together since I’m only 46. It helps to have a job that is flexible and understanding. Maybe you should look into something less strenuous. It’s stressful no matter what when you’re trying to manage Pain a balance work and home but having people that understand and support you helps. I wish you the best and hopefully you’ll be able to manage. Good luck!

Hi!
I'm a web designer in one company and spend a lot of time sitting in front of the computer. Every day I beg my boss to hire a hot masseur :D

I try to alternate what I’m doing when I can & try to move about a bit during the day to stop my joints from stiffening up.

This is great advice, thank you. I am having an easier time of it if I alternate jobs throughout the day, and break up the amount of time spent doing any one thing. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply, Miss V! I didn't know what a varidesk was, so it was great to learn. I think it might be helpful for me in the future. Wish you the best in trying to manage and balance your work/home life!

Hello! My name is Katie, and I recently was just released from an office administration position due to issues relating to Fibromyalgia. I found this job to be dibilitating due to the high stress. For me, I find that low stress jobs that are more active are where I thrive. Prior to working as an office administrator I had a part time job in the fitness industry helping individuals with chronic pain learn basic fitness principals. I loved it!!! I was at my best with fibro because I was regularly moving, and I loved my job. My hope is to get my body back where it needs to be and help others just like me again!

I also tried quite a few jobs after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It takes a while, but you can find your niche... aka something that is compatible with your symptoms. Just don't settle for coping. I believe you can truly thrive with this illness!!!

I’m currently training to be a nurse and I definitely struggle sometimes! I just have to push through because I know it’s what I want to do, definitely already envisioning trouble in the future though unfortunately.

Hi I am Eliza. I have been dealing with chronic pain since I was 16 years old and I am now 53. I was only recently diagnosed with Fibro. In the last three years it is the worse it has ever been. When I got diagnosed, I was looking to complete my internship for becoming a clinical therapist for children using behavioral theory. I had to quit both my volunteer positions and turn down my internship. I am currently not working because I only have about two days a week that I am able to do things. It is very hard to do much of anything anymore, but I keep trying.For me work or even volunteering is a near impossible dream. I am currently trying to get a good pain management program going. Then I will look for some other kind of work then what I was doing but I am not sure at this point I will be able to work to support myself soon. What I have learn is to find things i can do that don't cause the flare ups, so far I have not been very successful. I hope you have better luck. Peace all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back