Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Muscle twitches alone don't suggest an issue--weakness and atrophy do. It won't cause joint pain, either. It also doesn't cause pupils to be different.

There are a host of problems that can cause your symptoms. My first stop would be to the GP for a work-up--blood, etc. Next, I'd ask about the possibility of Fibromyalgia

You were run over? Did they do MRI's to make sure you don't have ruptured discs somewhere?

Edit to add: The twitches with ALS are actually not even felt much of the time.

If you're having muscle cramps and spasms, they can check electrolyte balance. There are blood tests that can check for muscle death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: needing to vent about twitches

thank you for replying. and NO! they didnt! my foot was awful and they did an xray of my foot and there was a rock in it, so they took it out. my back hurts when i breathe. man i got problems! i really dont know where to start and i know that alot of my symptoms dont go hand in hand with als but i feel like my arm and all the twitches are consistant. i do have painful points like in fibro but i just dont know. i need to go to the doctor. and i have been for my back but they never check it.... my whole back is screwed up though it pops and cracks and hurts when i lay down. i sleep fine though somehow..... doctors suck i swear when i went to my primary i told her i was twitching and i tried to tell her about my knees and she said "woah woah woah one symptom at a time" so yeah all i got out was the twitching. you are a doll thanks for replying.

Clear MRIs is a good sign. Fibro really is the most likely diagnosis. See if you can get a referral to a rheumy, who are the ones that usually diagnose it. It can be very painful. I've had it for 20+ years. In the meantime, warm baths, exercise such as swimming and whirlpools help with pain a LOT.

Be careful taking too many NSAIDS for pain--they fried my kidneys.

your sweet :) the only one who would answer a scared girl :) well i didnt have an mri of the chest or back just of the brain and cervical spine (so neck i think?) and also would fibro cause twitching all over, and mostly in one arm? i have read quite a bit about it and i have most of the symptoms but not all. and i dont take any meds, never been prescribed any. thanks again

You could have a trapped nerve, too. Anything in the spine would have shown on the MRI that is affecting your fingers :) Most don't have all the fibro symptoms. It's basically widespread pain above and below the waist. Muscle pain and what feels like joint aches are common with it, too

notme, have you always had twitching with your fibro? and do you have the trigger points? im hoping that is what is wrong since i dont have alot of weakness.... i pray you dont have als and thank you for being nice :)

Liz wasn't being rude at all, just explaining that it takes time for posts to be answered.

Most of the folks here with ALS have been innundated with the same concerns--sometimes for years. When it's hard to type, replies can seem very abrupt--as words are used as sparingly as possible.

Fibro can cause all kinds of things. Yes, had the tender points.

Try to be patient when you post, hon--because many of the answers you'll want while you're searching for answers are coming from people that have a horribly debilitating disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back