DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi all,

I just started getting massage therapy treatments from a practitioner recommended by a friend of mine (who also has fibro). She mostly does shiatsu and has experience with Fibro patients. I've done two treatments so far. She uses gentle pressure, and while I can't tell if it's helping it's definitely doing something to stimulate the nervous system. She'll be working on one part of my body and I get all tingly in another part. A bit drained after, but doesn't seem to affect the muscles like I imagine traditional massage would. Aparently the effects are cumulative, so I will go for a few more sessions a week or so apart. If I find it's helped. I'll keep going once a month or so (my insurance only covers so much).

Anyway, does/has anyone else had shiatsu massage? Did it help in the short/long term? Did you try any other types of massage therapy that helped? Am I wasting my time?

Any personal experiences/advice welcome.

Thanks
Peg

I can't do human shiatsu massage regardless of how much I desiring to. :-( ( robotics shiatsu are ok as long as they're on very low setting)

Any kind of spa massages or any kind of therapy massages, therapeutic massage, or even doctor massages , my body always scream so much pains after. The deeper massages went, the worse I'll be on the next day. Sometime I ran a very bad fever afterward . My tenderness toward any deep tissues messages run in my family. My mom was the same way too when she was alive and well. But that's just me, the untouchable fibro type person. It's not surprise actually cause many of my fibro symtops are genetic such as Hyperesthesia , Allodynia, and Paresthesia . Although my mom didnt have fibro she had experienced hyper sensitivities ( all 3) especially toward the end of her life.

I've been going to a Shiatsu masseuse for many years. He helps specifically to loosen up tightened muscles in my neck and shoulders (from stress), and not for any pain related to Fibro/CFS. He "goes easy on me" knowing about my health issues and how it can be aggravated.

If you benefit from and can tolerate shiatsu massage, you might also consider acupuncture. My acupuncturist knows of Fibro/CFS and has helped other patients thru her treatments.

Both Shiatsu and acupuncture have helped me in my overall well-being. I'd go more often but can't afford it. Unfortunately, both massage and acupuncture are not covered by my health insurance and it can be quite costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back