Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
ny
I have been working hard to figure out what causes fibromyalgia and after researching and reading and talking to people I believe it is emotional. I have read Dr. John Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" and I have just started doing EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique).
For a few days I have been jotting down ANY bad memory, fear, anger, childhood emotions etc... and im starting to work it out of my system. I feel so much better already! I have not had any major trauma or anything when I was younger, just a lot of anger and resentment that I didn't realize I had. I might see a psychologist to help me get to my unconscious emotions. But Im telling you all... I feel so much better! Please read "Healing Back Pain" (or any of Dr. Sarno's books. He's coming out with a new one called "The Divided Mind"). And YouTube "EFT".

Im glad Its helping you. The mind is a powerful thing.

I have been working hard to figure out what causes fibromyalgia and after researching and reading and talking to people I believe it is emotional. I have read Dr. John Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" and I have just started doing EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique).

I'm glad you're feeling better... but although fibro pain can be deepened by stress and emotional turmoil, I don't think I've ever heard that writing things down that may have happened in life actually helps fibro when it's already present and diagnosed. Have you been diagnosed, or just wondering if you may have it?

In any case, if there would be a cure for fibro, it would be all over the news. If a technique in a book would be a cure, we'd be seeing it on all the talk shows. I've learned to be very skeptical about "miracle cures" found in books, etc.

I realize some may disagree.... but my personal belief is that while relaxation techniques are great and helpful when someone already has fibro, I don't believe it's *caused* by that turmoil, or maybe more importantly, able to be "cured" by those techniques once it's present and causing the devastating pain... fibro is *so* much deeper and more complex than that.

I'm glad you do feel better! I really believe that fibro is a symptom, not a root issue. I'm coming to believe it can be caused by many different factors, and certainly poor mental health can cause it. I don't doubt that it caused your fibro. A lot of research is being conducted on how the brain affects fibro and vice versa, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a major correlation.

For me, my poor mental health was a symptom along with my fibro. Treating the symptom won't solve the problem. Now that my doctor found my root issue, my fibro and mental health are improving a lot. My fibro was caused by my failing digestive organs. I was really malnourished, despite eating a fairly good diet. The more my digestive organs are healing, the better I'm feeling overall! I still have a long ways to go, but my fibro only flares when I eat the wrong thing (too much fibrous vegetables, grains, and sugar all cause fibro flares.)

I just was reading this and I thought it could help some people, so I thought it would be useful to share. It's different natural ways to help treat fibromyalgia I will post the link below. I am so glad you are feeling better, that is good to hear! It gives everyone hope!

** advertising link removed **

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidera, I believe you are right. Fibromyalgia is a symptom. Not a disease in itself. Its sending a message to the body/mind "tune into me! I need help!" Im glad you found your problem and that you're feeling better!
Mariposa, The mind and body is a complex unity. They are completely compliant with each other.
The reason you don't see it in the news is because there is no reason for them to advertise it. Doctors and the medical field are interested in the bottom line. Drugs make money. So do surgeries and expensive treatment. There is not so much information about fibromyalgia is because they don't care to look into it. Its not dangerous so its not lucrative.
Believe me, I am the most skeptical about miracle cures and the like. Im not saying it takes a day or even a month. But once you get to the root of you problem, be it physical, emotional, psychological etc... there is no reason for your body to look for attention, so to speak and the symptoms (read: fibromyalgia) go away.

That's great to hear that's helping you! It's always nice to hear when members are finding relief from any treatment..

I do personally agree with mariposa though, when she says, "but my personal belief is that while relaxation techniques are great and helpful when someone already has fibro, I don't believe it's *caused* by that turmoil, or maybe more importantly, able to be "cured" by those techniques once it's present and causing the devastating pain... fibro is *so* much deeper and more complex than that."

The reason I agree with mariposa and feel that way is because my ailments were caused by a car accident.... I've got many diagnoses because of the accident and fibromyalgia is one of them... So for me, personally, my fibro was cause by physical trauma, a one, well 2, but they were a year and a half apart, but a one time physical trauma/ car accident...

Everyone is different though, not everyone will have the same reasons for the diagnosis, nor will everyone find relief by seeing a psychologist, writing things down, or the many other treatments, therapies, or medications.... Everyone is different....

I am going to recommend this to a couple of people I know with Fibro. I'm sure on some level it will help a bit, and for them, even a little is a lot! It really is amazing what the whole 'mind over matter' thing can accomplish. Makes you wonder if you could walk across cliffs like Wile E. Coyote if no one ever told you that you couldn't ;)

I will research this and try it out as well. It does make since thought. Thank you for the information.

I listened to it on an audiobook and read part of his other book which is sort of an updated rehash called "The Divided Mind" after experiencing chronic RSI. It didn't help me like how other patients were cured in the book. But I do think he's on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back