Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with irritated bowel syndrome, the stomach cramps are pretty painful. I had a colonoscopy done which came back normal, and I was advised to eat more bran. I am just wondering if anyone with IBS can advise me on what to do with the painful stomach cramps. Any advise would be really appreciated thanks:confused:

I suffer from IBS as well. I've had pain so intense I had a vasovagal response, got dizzy, nauseas, vomited violently and almost passed out. At times when I'm feeling the pain but can't get up yet, my boyfriend rubs my lower back and it (to some degree) distracts my brain from the pain. Just enough to make it bearable until I can go to the bathroom. At lot of it is trial and error, finding out what foods make it worse for you. For some people its tomato based foods (which I LOVE! but have to limit), most people have issues with spinach, asparagus, broccoli, and other leafy green veggies.
One thing I HIGHLY recommend is taking a probiotic. You can get them over the counter at most pharmacies, I take Culturelle, it's $27/month supply here but well worth it. It's basically a good bacteria that helps fight the bad ones in your gut. At one point I had such an overgrowth of bad bacteria that my stool was solid white. Online research scared me into thinking it was liver or gall bladder or something terrible, but 2 days on culturelle and the IBS cramps were 99% stopped. For the first time in years I had normal, healthy poops :) And it wasn't proceeded by pain! For a while I was telling my mom "I don't remember what its like to have a normal urge to poop" and then I found probiotics. World of difference. Every so often I stop taking it and within a week the IBS cramps start again along with borderline diarrhea and frequent trips to the bathroom.
Try probiotics. It's probably helpful to keep a food journal to track what foods might be causing worse symptoms as well. I wish you the best and hope you find relief like I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back