Not open for further replies.
Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
Privat
Hey everyone,

It has been a year since I've been at this forum. Yesterday I really needed to vent since I've been having a huge flare up for more than a week now. With my exams coming up next week I locked myself in my house, tried to study and write some papers, but it has been frustrating. So after a week I decided I was feeling so low about myself, school and my Fibromyalgia that I wanted to vent about it to my best friend. I almost never do this, because a lot of people around me aren't that understanding. So I told her how I was feeling and there it was, the reaction I really didn't want: she told me that she knows someone with Fibromyalgia who uses stones and magnets to relieve her pain. She told me that this person doesn't have any pains anymore and that I should get those stones and magnets aswell. It pissed me off so bad. All I said was: Thanks, I'll look into it. Because I'm getting used to these reactions and I don't want to discuss about how something can help one person and doesn't help the next.

I know that she means well. But this happens so often. My mom also does this. She tells me I need to buy some kind of homeopathic pills and drink some kind of tea. It makes me feel like it is my decision to be in pain if I decide not to buy these magnets, stones and pills (which are btw expensive). Conclusion: I don't need friends or family to give me the cure, I have a docter who studied for this, I need them to just be understanding and listen to my complaints once in a while.

What do you do when someone close to you tells you they've found the cure for Fibromyalgia and sort of forces you to try it, but you know it isn't gonna work?

Greetings, Maaike

{/QUOTE}Conclusion: I don't need friends or family to give me the cure, I have a docter who studied for this, I need them to just be understanding and listen to my complaints once in a while

What do you do when someone close to you tells you they've found the cure for Fibromyalgia and sort of forces you to try it, but you know it isn't gonna work?

Greetings, Maaike[/QUOTE]

Hi Maaike,
You already put it perfectly... your conclusion is perfect! It may be difficult to say but you have to draw boundaries to protect yourself. They may get angry but thats okay. It is their choice of how to handle it. And it is your life, your health, your choice of how to pursue treatment.

Best of luck :)

Yes understanding and not crack pot cures and hurtful comments go a long way from friends and family.

Disbelief and showing us their irritation at our pain and limitations is almost as painful as the pain...well not quite but it certainly can increase your physical pain a whole lot more!

Thanks Cheryl Ann and Willow for your replies! I indeed think I should stand up more about this topic to my friends and family, because it does hurt like Willow says. And like Cheryl Ann says: if they get angry that's okay, because I feel worse trying to ignore it and letting it put me down.

whooopmaaike, Good for you! Best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back