Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
Does anyone else experience sciatic type pain? I had a really bad episode months ago because my knees were so bad I couldn't bend or lift properly and my back suffered as a result. It got so bad I couldn't weight bear at all and was frozen to the spot for well over an hour. I've seen a physiotherapist who told me what I knew already, that my back was suffering for not lifting through my knees.

I've never had it as bad but I still frequently get sciatic type pain even when I'm being careful. As soon as I feel a twinge at all I listen to my body and really watch how I'm moving yet it still comes back again.

I currently take Amitriptyline, Meloxicam and Gabapentin amongst many other medications. Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid any episodes or how to ease the symptoms. I'm so scared it gets so bad again & I can't move at all. I'll mention it to my rheumatologist when I see him again in a few months, yet another problem for me to bring up with him!

I usually describing that type of pain as pins and needles pains , electric shock, or tingeling numbing pains ( funny it describing as numbing but it's a pains lol) . To me that's related to my condition call paresthesia , which I don't know if that is yours too or perhaps something different entirely. And there're fews level of that types of pains that I'm experincing quite often .. some big+short one can present as 3-20 times per day. I'm used to it now as long as the big+long lasting one doesn't come by that often then I'm ok. I guess it's kinda like getting tattooing especially during flare up. It will take sometimes to get use to it . Once that happen you can almost predicting how it's gonna happen then you can avoid some of it. Sadly some are still very unpredictable. I've been dealing with this sensation for 7 years. No amount of any kind of drugs for me had ever cure or stop it. The type of drug that may have some effect to me were the one that mostly narcotic, but it wear off very quickly. And it only help cause I was fully out cold.

I don't think everyone pains are reacting the same way. For me I have to avoid any bending like a normal person at all cost. Then any possible possition that might give me cramps pains , i have to avoiding that too. And I stick with high alkaline food and alkaloid type consumption.

Last edited:
I definitely have pain in my sciatic nerve down the back of my right thigh. Probably the most constant of my pains. Just a burning ache deep in the muscle. Tends to be worse after long periods of sitting. I don't have any other sciatica symptoms, but it makes sense to me that if Fibro affects the nerves, and the sciatic nerve is well, one very big nerve, that it would definitely cause some problems. It's not as bad as you describe, but it's hella painful.
My partner has actual sciatica that flares up from time to time, so I know it's not quite the same as that.

Not much that helps other than stretching it out a bit, walking, trying not to sit around too long. Muscle relaxants (methocarbamol) help slightly, bu mostly I just put up with it.

Hope you can figure something out!

Hi Lou38
I had two backsurgeries ending up with nerve damage on my left side l3-s1. This leaves me in constant sciatic pain, it has also caused some muscle wasting in my left leg. It can really be horrible so I feel for you.
I have found that the stretches that I do really help and if I am really tight then I use heat and do the stretching. I do this several times a day. Any time that it really starts to hurt or feels tight, I will get down and do my stretches. I also limit sitting and try not to bend at the waist or even squat when it gets bad as this just aggravates it faster. I also move a little slower and pay more attention to everything I do.
I realize that is not practical in every day life but sitting and bending have to be limited in order to get the sciatica under control. Or at least that helps me. I know everyone is different. I also have an SI joint problem on my right side which throws a sciatic like pain down that leg when it's acting up.
If you sleep on your back have you tried a pillow under your knees? Something as simple a short that can even give you some relief.
If you look up sciatica stretches and decide to try them just go slow, you want a stretch but not pain... overstretching can make it far worse....I learned that the hard way 🙄
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back