Not open for further replies.

Fran

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
When I Google Fibromyalgia, Google's embedded result says that the condition does not get worse as you age. I have to stop and question that for a moment. There is so much they DON'T know about the condition, so I think it is a presumptuous claim.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope that they are right. However, there are many things which make fibromyalgia worse. The question is, does age. You could be just fine and then poof you have the condition. Maybe there is a slow decent in to it, but most people I know with it did not have symptoms until adulthood.

If you can get it as an adult, how can they say that it does not get worse with age? I want to know YOUR experience. What real people with the condition think. Do you think it gets worse with age or does it level off?

Personally, I haven't found this to be my experience. However, I was diagnosed at the age of 11 and now 20 years later, I have mostly under control. I've had to learn that I can't do a 9-5 job, but can work full time with a flexible schedule and a forgiving boss. I can be active, but not overly active (yoga yes, contact sports no).

I am intrigued to see what happens as I age, if I limit my activity will it worsen? Time will only tell...

It depends. If you happen to suffer from other condition apart from fibro, like for example arthritis, then yeah... the pain can get only worse and worse. I know a lot people who have both conditions... I might be one of those persons actually :( My pain was at its worst when I was really overweight, right now is much better... since I've lost so much weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back