Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CA
I am a 60-year-old California lawyer, diagnosed a couple of months ago. My husband has advanced Alzheimer's and I suspect the past 5 years of caring for him has taken a pretty big toll. I have tried Cymbalta, Trazadone and Ambien but nothing has helped yet. I cannot remember sleeping through the night - it has been at least a year. First, hubby was wandering in the night and peeing everywhere, so I was on high alert but he lives in a memory care facility now because I had a major flare of ulcerative colitis (now controlled by Lialda) and 9 months later, I still can't sleep more than 2-3 hours. The pain has been my companion long enough I cannot remember when it started. I take 2 tabs of Naprosyn twice a day and that usually keeps it at a dull roar, although I shouldn't take so much NSAID with ulcerative colitis.

I do weekly yoga therapy and regular massage and I listen to guided imagery for fibro every day. I eat well - mostly Paleo - have no alcohol and I have never smoked. I work full-time, attend church weekly and visit my husband most days - too tired for anything else and worried whether I can keep working. (Necessary for husband's care costs and insurance.)

I would love to hear how others of you have managed to keep going. I feel on the verge of collapsing. Thanks!

Gosh thats a lot of activity and stress with fibro. To be honest the only way to keep fibro at a more manageable level is to reduce some of the demands on your body physically and mentally.

I don't know anything about the Us care or retirement pension system but if it is any kind of option maybe you should consider retirement as keeping going at that rate is like trying to live a normal life not a fibro life where pacing rest as well as moderate activity is the key.

I feel for you and wish you luck. Take Care

Hello from Andee, I could not do all that you are doing when I was well. I absolutley could not work full time. I have no idea how the system works in the states other than it´s insecure for those in need money and healthwise. I am 52 and could never manage to live alone. I am newly diagnosed and trying to accept this challenge with courage, but that does not mean I don't have my crying jags and "why me?" days. I can barely cook a meal. There is no easy resolve. I am thinking of all of my fibro fighters today with empathy, gentle hug.

I'd have to agree ,cut down on anything u don't need to do for a while.ask your dr for something to help u sleep.something like a nerve blocker ,they really help ppl sleep in the 20 mg range and up.
I don't sleep at all without meds my brain refuses to shut down .sounds like yours is doing the same.x

Thank you so much. I have a 4-day weekend and am seriously practicing slowing to a crawl. It isn't easy. My pattern is to push myself until I can no longer function. Right now I have a migraine, so that has forced me to my bed. Which is apparently where I need to be.

Am resolved to visit husband only every other day and to see if I can find a way to reduce my work hours. Before I collapse, not after. I appreciate the validation that my load really is heavy and I am not just a whiner. I do so miss living with a partner who could pick up the slack a little when I ran out of steam.

Will ask the doctor about other drugs on Monday. He has been on vacation for 10 days and his partner said I would have to wait for his return. Doctors are so afraid of prescribing anything that could be addictive. I don't like taking medicine and hate that whiff of suspicion that I may just want to get high.

Thanks again.

Wow. Your plate is definitely full. I have found that getting enough sleep makes a big difference when I am trying to get a handle on my pain. Hopefully your Dr can help youbring a good sleep aid. Keep trying to find the right combo that works for you. I take a sleeping pill but also take Tinazadine ( muscle relaxer ) that helps me. Hope you find some relief soon.
Sylvia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back