Bad Experiences Iin Childhood Lead To Adult Illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorPrincess

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
I think many of us have suspected this for quite a while. I think it's often the case, as well as often being the case with traumatic events that occur after childhood, although in some cases, some who experience those may be better able to recover. I found the article interesting, and am hoping we hear more about the subject in the future. I do agree that certain activities and treatments can make a difference in recovery. https://aeon.co/essays/how-bad-experiences-in-childhood-lead-to-adult-illness?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e8d74b723e-Saturday_newsletter_4_June_20166_3_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-e8d74b723e-68688157

I discussed this with a friend who is a psychiatric professional, retired. I really believe that yes, our bodies are stuck in that flight or fight mode. There are also a lot of us that have some kind of stomach related issue. I believe it is all related to the nervous system. But i don't think they will really figure this out until there is understanding that trauma, regardless of mental or physical causes permanent damage. I wonder how long it will take for this to happen. I have met quite a few fibro sufferers who had childhood abuse of some kind.

Well I had a lovely childhood.we weren't rich and life had its ups and downs,I think everyone can look back and say we had problems as a child.
Mine started and 17. So did it bring on fibro who knows .i think it's in our genes somewhere myself.just hope whatever started it we find out in our lifetime x

I also believe that fibromyalgia and childhood trauma are linked, but I suspect there is a genetic factor too. My girlfriend had a problematic childhood and started having pain in her leg when she was in her puberty, in time it faded. She has been in the fight and flight mode for a VERY long time and she still is. Her circumstances changed when she met me: she finally had someone to talk with about her problems and finally someone to share her feelings with. Then it all started. The pain came back and spread through whole her body... Sometimes we joke that I was the cause of all her pain.

I suspect that traumatic childhood experiences are a risk factor for developing chronic pain. There are probably a lot of other risk factors too; when enough of them pile on, that's when a person gets fibromyalgia

My story is the same...genetically predisposed...issues in young teenage years that for me where distressing and little understanding or support. in fact the reverse of support...a lot of anger and not wanting me around if I was going to be sad or anxious from my dad when I was already feeling very vulnerable.

Sensitive nature and more tough times over many years stuck in flight or fight in adulthood and hey presto fibro at 47.

I think unconditional love and support is the greatest gift we can give our children....I know my experiences have meant my son has been showered with love understanding and feeling he is safe telling me anything.

Mine is definitely caused from childhood abuse and witnessing domestic abuse, I also believe that it is genetic my mom has it obviously she would have high risKS of developing this mine started I was around 12. I was always told it's growing pains well I didn't grow much after 12 and the pain spread everywhere the older I got the more pain I got I am now 30 my Rheum tracked it back to about 15 because I guess that's the normal "early" age but I have talked to him and explained the research I found on juvenile fibro and we talked about what's and why's and all that about it coming on still during the trauma. ( the trama was going on for a decade) now am diagnosed with anxiety depression fibro and PTSD. But as for the genes my mother's aunt, my gram, my aunt and cousins of my mom's. I seem to be the only one in this generation of the family. Hopefully I'm the end of the crazy spiral of this.

This is an interesting topic. My doctor actually asked me this question when he diagnosed me. He asked if I had an trauma, physical or mental. Then he added "even as a child". I don't remember anything huge, but then as you peel back the years of events over the course of life it could make sense. Parents divorced at age 6, grandparents died together in car accident at age 12..

I also had a concussion in 2013, and the most severe onset of the Fibro was less than 2 years later. But, from the time of concussion through today, life got extremely emotionally stressful. To a normal person that sounds silly, oh life gets stressful. But, I think we all know the difference when we feel that deep rooted anxiety and nervousness. There have been at 3 incidents since the concussion that I (in my rational mind) was afraid that i was having a physical nervous breakdown. I could feel the changes in my body.

Could it be?? Could it be that it's a combo of trauma that caused our brains to mix it's wires up?? So, now we are sensitive to EVERYTHING? FOOD, LIGHT, TEMPERATURE, STRESS, PAINNNNNN. :)

So many of us share the same build up...different circumstances but still so many similarities. My dad also has CFS and got it at 46 mine started at 47....Thank goodness i didn't really understand what he was dealing with or that it could be passed to children.

He and I are also very similar in character.

I'm so grateful for my 47 years pain free and active.

Willow - I can't help but agree with you. Had you know, the simple anxiety of knowing of it all may have kicked you into it alot sooner. xo

I had a defective valve at the top of my stomach at birth and had surgery soon after during the first week of my life, almost died. I think that must have been the first shock to my nervous system, and is why my symptoms kicked in earlier than most. Honestly I never heard of anyone else who had symptoms as a child until I joined this forum. Then after that my father terrified me. I don't think u brain knows the difference, it just knows u had a shock. What if they eventually find out that everyone actually has the possibility of getting this after a certain number of shocks. That fight or flight instinct just getting stuck in the on position because some innate threshold has been surpassed?

denel - that makes great sense. The Fight or Flight mode is how I describe my feelings very often. Does anyone else scare easily? Jump easily? My insides are always on guard, My nerves just jump inside over any quick actions or misinterpreted actions. If that even makes sense.

For example: If I'm about to drop something, my insides jump like I was scared to death by surprise. My body interprets any quick moves or surprise events as danger, even when to the rational mind they are not.

denel - that makes great sense. The Fight or Flight mode is how I describe my feelings very often. Does anyone else scare easily? Jump easily? My insides are always on guard, My nerves just jump inside over any quick actions or misinterpreted actions. If that even makes sense.

For example: If I'm about to drop something, my insides jump like I was scared to death by surprise. My body interprets any quick moves or surprise events as danger, even when to the rational mind they are not.

It is the same with my girlfriend. She even sometimes gets scared when a movie switches from one scene to another, even when there is no sound. Very little is needed to get her scared.

Me tooo......I feel on edge being around bad atmospheres...insensitive people who you know can change from pleasant to unpredictable or critical quickly,....lately I've got the jump at sudden noises or a knock on the door....even the emotion from a sad scenes in a movie immediately makes my flight or fight kick up a notch or two..

It's all from being in heightened arousal for too long. If an animal is badly treated it becomes jumpy and frightened.....we are the same.

We can treat ourselves badly too by ruminating and over feeling negative emotions by normal peoples standards...but if your genetically sensitive and have been knocked back by other people or stressful situations it can wear down your resilience...get fibro and that resilience is further compromised.

With health and the certainty of a body you can rely on you have the tools to fight your mind back to a balanced place ..without you can get even more stuck.

I also avoid crying it doesn't relieve stress for me at all....as soon as i feel tears pricking my heart rate rockets and i can feel my pulse banging in my throat...then it all gets stuck for hours.

Lecture over...ha ha just my thoughts and experience.

Last edited:
Over time I changed the way I deal with people and the way I dealt with stress to avoid big upsets. A highly emotional reaction to whatever it might be can put me in bed for days, feeling like I have the flu. Sweating and all. It's like it hits my immune system too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back