What would you want your friends to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthrngypsy

Reason
Friend
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
mo
I want to be supportive to my friends with fibromyalgia, but not pushy. If you could tell your friends without fibromyalgia one thing, what would it be?

Try to understand my situation. Yup, that's something I desperately want from those around me without fibro, but sadly I can't get it. I mean, I understand, after all there is no way they could ever do it, unless they suffered from it. So it's futile, but it would be nice if they could understand a bit, at least be thoughtful enough not to say "oh me too"when I something like "I'm so achy right now". Not cool.

Patience on days when just getting out of bed is a major event. That would be a big one.

My friends with fibro have talked about this. The main thing seemed to be that they don't want to be babied or pitied. It makes them (according to them) feel like a person who can't do anything except gather pity. So that's a big one.

They want understanding of the illness so that when a friend hears that they can't get out of bed, can't go shopping, can't go out for girl's night, etc. that they really mean it and shouldn't hear things like "aw, come on, two hours out won't hurt!"

Bottom line from what I've gathered is that they want to be thought of as very strong because of what they face and deal with each day... not weak because that's letting fibro win. When "poor dear" comes in, many hear that as weakness. I'm thinking "I *so* admire your strength for fighting this!" would go a lot further.

Perhaps, I could tell my sister "I admire your strength for fighting her fibromyalgia." whenever she complains about her aches/pains, etc. Thanks!

Perhaps, I could tell my sister "I admire your strength for fighting her fibromyalgia." whenever she complains about her aches/pains, etc. Thanks!

That would be nice, but I think you also need to understand the depth of her horrible and constant pain. Maybe read up on a medical site. What you're calling "complaining" is actually her reaching out and sharing... hoping someone listens.

I've heard one of my friends scream out that very thing when one of her family members said something to her about it... "I'm not complaining, I'm trying to share how I feel!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back