Hello! new here and some questions about fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormageddon

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
Hello, I'm new to the forums but not new to fibro.

I am, however, just starting to try to get into better shape and eat better to try and manage it better and just feel better overall. I've tried regular workout programs and have always ended up quitting because of pain.

I just bought the book Fibromyalgia Fitness, 12 Weeks To A Healthier You by Eric Suarez CPT. Has anyone else read it? I just did the first day's work out and it certainly is gentle enough (it seems to be yoga/stretch based) but there doesn't seem to be any cardio involved.

Should I not worry about that and just keep on with the program as is, or should I try to incorporate some gentle cardio? What do y'all do for cardio without triggering a flare? I really want to get into shape but I don't want to overdo it.

Welcome firstly .its a tricky one this. Mot ppl who try to work out hurt like hell for days after. If it was me I'd stick to the gentle work out. I got a dog and walked .it was great .it made me go out even if I didn't want to. Sadly my far baby died. And I'm now thinking about weather or not to get a new pup. I'm not telling u to go buy a dog lol.
What I mean is I found walking a great way to get the heart rate up without killing myself .i think u will have to go by trail and error .just don't go flat out work your way up slowly.

Thanks for the tips! I do have a treadmill and we're actually planning on adopting a dog soon. It's been so hot here lately though that if I go for just a light stroll around the block I end up so exhausted from the heat and that triggers a bad flare. It gets up to between 100F (38C) and 114F (45C) here in the summer so I do most of my walking indoors when it's hot. When the weather cools down though, I'll look forward to taking my dog for a walk as I do enjoy walking outside, just not by myself.

I know here in Illinois you are allowed to take your dog into Petco or PetSmart which might be a good idea for the summer months or else walk them very early in the morning or late in the evening.

I walk and also swim. I have to really pay attention to how I feel and take it very slow. Sometimes I even have to slow down for very slight hills :rolleyes:

This is frustrating for me - I used to be very active not that long ago. But I do what I can when I can do it. And it does help me feel better.

I agree with Forgetmenot, the gentle workouts are more likely to be helpful. Pay close attention to your body to see if you can tell when you are near your limit. I find my limits move from day to day.

slow one minute work outs is all you need.

stretching and try to just keep moving.

learn to reduce your pain levels and you will get lower pain days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back