Status
Not open for further replies.
where is everyone?
now we have gone from fighting polar bears for dinner to Woo-hoo! spring must be coming
-30 last week to 6 and sunny
WTH is going on?!

I don't know where everyone is, but I am glad your still posting here twiztc. :)

Today was a good day for me!

My days are much busier now that I am taking care of mother all the time. She was getting a bit scared and needed more help then the other care givers were able to help with, so I had to step in and start doing more every day. Some days it is easy, but other days she is confused and unsure of what is going on in the world around her.

But some of it is fun because it gives me someone to share meals and new recipies with and I am not alone as much, of course this means I have very little time to myself anymore. But I think we should help help in the care of our parents, drather then stuffing them away in nursing homes and forgeting about them. That is what families did in the old days, when families tried to help each other out.
So I guess I am an old-fashioned girl. lol

And this is winter, so staying indoors provides the chance to read books and watch movies. I have been trying to find time to write, but it is hard to get away from watching out for mom. Hope things get easier in the Spring. :)

It's nice that at the moment you feel able to look after your mum. Just don't forget to have some time to yourself as it's a very demanding and thank- less job and strip you of all yours energy if you aren't careful.
I'm sick
i felt awful yesterday. Felt like I had a cold coming for a couple days then got IBS type troubles at work and had to be taken home. So I'm now tucked up on my sofa in my warm fuzzy blanket. I think I have a mild flu coz if it was my usual problem it rarely lasts more than 24 hours. The way I feel right now I may have to use a sick day for tomorrow as well. So what... I don't use them often.
It's given me the chance to have lots of little naps and finish a few of my little crochet projects I started.
I've done 2 watch straps and a crocodile change purse. Just need to finish sewing the zip on that one.
I've also been going mental crocheting all my clothes hangers. It was driving me mad having all my jumpers and top slipping off them. I must have done nearly half my wardrobe now and it uses up all the silly leftover bits of yarn I have all over the place. They don't take any thinking about either which is great for my Swiss cheese brain right now.
So im gonna put my supernatural dvds in and get a hot drink and stay on my fat idle arse with my fuzzy blanky and dozen the day away.
Take care all

Twiztc,
Glad to hear your busy crocheting. Covering hangers is always a nice thing. I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

As for me today was a good day in that I rested more than doing work. Mom and I watched a couple of movies and I read to her some nice stories. We got her hair washed and put up with curlers made from avon that are like little pillows with wire ends that you roll the hair on and then pinch the ends toward each other to close. She loves these because of the comfort and sleeping on them is nice. The first time I put her hair up I used the older curlers with the nubs on them. They rolled up just fine, but taking them out was a real bear. They got tangled up in her hair and it was a terrible time getting them out.

I am no hairdresser mind you, never put my hair up as it has natural curl in it, but I am getting the hang of it to help mom look pretty. Bath time can be scary for older folks, but I got one of those shower benches and now it is so easy to take showers. And so we are managing getting along most of the time. lol

Our weather was warmer yesterday and the snow was almost gone. Today the weather is very cold and we got more snow. So of course my furance decided to pretend it was not going to work with some error message. I hit the reset and it seems to be working again, and hopefully will stay that way until tomarrow.

Otherwise, all is well. Just trying to stay warm and dry, and happy to be alive. And hoping for better days ahead. :)

Cold. Cold. Cold.
I'm so fed up with all those arctic vortex things we keep getting.
It makes us all ache more right?
But I've been keeping myself busy. Our daughter is making an effort trying to keep her space clean and tidy so I've been helping her get rid of all her old stuff and we will be doing a trip to the charity shop tomorrow so hopefully someone else can give a new home to what she spent need any more.
She has a lot of anxiety and depression problems that make normal day to day life hard for her and at times she can be difficult to live with. I know a bit about that as I have been similar myself at time but I have learned to cope mostly with my mental problems.. she's still young and hasn't found her own coping mechanism yet. Over the last week or two she really has been trying to make an effort and I'm proud of her for that.

First day off in six days, and I hurt from head to toe. Just kind of hanging out today, no real motivation to do anything. Freezing cold out today.

nascarmike, Thanks for sharing. I hope your feeling better.

Today, was good in some ways and bad in others. I get emotional drained when my relative I am helping gets an ugly spell and gets stubborn, and cranky. It ruins my day and my stress level is at max. But if I am lucky in changing the direction of the way things are going, by moving off the topic and into something different then peace rains once more.

The day started out warm at 40 degrees and went up to about 45 degrees, then took a sharp turn downward. We had slush on the streets, then freezing rain, and then snow. Heavy wet snow. But the trees and bushes took on a dreamy sparkly look in the sunshine and tonight the yard was bathed in moonlight. Winter storms can be cold and windy, but the effects can be beautiful as well.

I hope to have time soon to share more recipies and fun things to lift spirits and make you all smile. Maybe that day is coming soon, in the meantime anyone wishing to share something good of their day is welcome to post here. :)

So far Sweeds we missed the freezing rain but we had a big dump of wet heavy snow. My poor dear hubby was shoveling on and off all day yesterday so it didn't pile up and was hard at it again today. It's no wonder he's fallen asleep here on the sofa bless him.
As for me I've been battling fatigue all weekend so have just done the things I really have to do and anything else is postponed for another time. I just hope I'm a bit more alert for work tomorrow and the rest of the week. Talking of which I better get off my bum and finish doing my lunch for tomorrow.
Goodnight all

Well it looks like we will be shoveling more snow. We had four inches the other day and now the sky is dumping more on us today. Plus the tempature is around 17 degrees. So get ready to bundle up some more twiztc. lol

I have found new delight in cooking since I am cooking for two now, that is for mom and me. I went to the store to buy a beef roast the other day and the price was huge, and the roasts were tiny. So I bought a beef steak instead that was one and 1/2 inches thick and I put it in the oven with lots of peeled carrots and onions, and potatoes. Then I added onion soup mix and baked it for two hours. the meat came out so tender and good. Mom enjoyed the soft easy to eat food and I enjoyed the fact that my switching of the type of product worked. I ended up with more tender cooked meat than I would have had with a tiny roast. So today we are having a beef stew made from the leftovers.

I have also been thinking of picking up on some old hobbies that have fallen by the wayside with so many other important things to do. I used to love painting and doing craft items. I really like making christmas decorations and gifts from craft paper and yarn, and plastic canvas. I found a great number of craft books while cleaning my mom's house and hope to get her interested in trying to do things as well.

Well that is all for today. I hope all is going well with the rest of you and that you are all warm and safe, and somewhat pain free. :)

Yep snow. More cold and snow. I know I'm fairly new to Canadia but in the 6-7 years I've been here I've not known it so cold for so long and with the quantity of the white stuff.
Many people who have lived here all their lives have told me the same. Brutal.
I hear you about the beef. What is going on with the prices these days? You need a second mortgage just for a half decent sized bit for a roast and it's not always the best cut. Is there a shortage of these bovine creatures that we are being kept unaware of? Are aliens stealing our best bulls.... are there only milk cows being born? It is a mystery. Maybe we should get Mulder & Scully on the case.
As for me I've been taking it easy. Haven't been coping too well with this beast we live with but I hope to remedy that in the near future.
I don't know if I already mentioned by my brother in law has a doctor friend that has started a new clinic dedicated to Fibro. She is also a sufferer so I'm getting myself referred as soon as I can. If all I walk out of that clinic with is some fresh coping tips and tricks I will be happy.
My poor computer is breaking down fast. Hubby ordered me a wicked bare bones combo. The motherboard should arrive Tuesday so then I can build my stonking new machine. I'm so excited. It's been about six years since I built a new computer. I used to do so many years ago for family and friends I feel quite out of practice.
I pulled my guitar out today. Something else I haven't played with for quite some time. After just half an hour my fingertips felt like they'd been attacked by a cheese grater! It felt good though and has made me feel I really should get back into music again, even if I'm not that good anymore.
So this much slower weekend has been full of revisiting old pleasures and being thankful of what I do have and can still enjoy.
Blessings to you all

Today was a thawing day and the water was racing down the street and into the storm drains. If it keeps up there will be lots of flooded areas as the creeks and rivers rise as the snow melts off the mountains. We live on a mountain, but many towns around here are in the valleys right beside rivers that are ice filled and when they begin to thaw look out below. Basements get flooded and then sometimes if the waters continue to rise roads and bridges, and even houses float away. If they don't move there is still a muddy mess to clean up when the waters go down. I hope none of you live in flood prone areas.

Yesterday I spent the day running errands and trying to catch up on things I let go over the first of the week. Generally, I get about 1 hour of important things done all day long then I am plum worn out. I sure wish my energy level remained for longer than that then maybe I could finish half the things I get started and have more time for doing things that are more fun.

Maybe that will happen one of these days, just in time for Spring weather. One can only hope. Well here's hoping that you all had a very good day. :)

Not been doing so well so not been around much. Friday I had my first day in so long that I actually felt almost human. Today I'm back down with an almighty thump. But hubby has been looking after me and I haven't had to do a thing and he made us all a lovely roast chicken dinner with apple pie for afters. So I've had a pampered day off.
Hey Sweeds, environment Canada say that this current cold blast will be the last of the winter and from the end of the second week in march things will slowly start warming up. Bloody good job as I'm so tired of feeling cold all the time.
Night all

Well yesterday the weather was somewhat nice then it turned colder fast. In the middle of the night we had about three really strong blasts of wind that shook the house. Then this morning the sun was shining but it was back down to 21 degrees. I don't mind the snow but this very cold air makes it expenive heating the house. I can not imagine living where it gets down to -67 degrees. How to they keep warm in that low of temp's? My furnace is struggling when we hit -20 degrees, and it is all I can do to get it up to 66 in the house.

Where are you Spring? We need you. The other day it warmed up to 55 degrees and most of the snow melted. It was a beautiful day and I noticed my tulips are coming up. Now it is freezing again.

Had a chance to go to Jamestown, to help get a friend to her vacation rental. Getting away was wonderful and the drive up was lots of fun. We even saw a field with a large flock of canada geese. They were in a corn field. And the day was warm and the views were very pretty in NY state.

But now I am sitting here typing and soon to be off to bed. Hope all of you are keeping warm. Please share your thoughts about how your days are going. See you later......:)

This weather is really becoming old. First we have some beauitiful days and the snow mostly melted and the temp's hit the high 50's and 60's, then overnight the weather turned cold and more snow fell. Last night we heard so huge booms and people called the fire department about seeing fire balls in the sky. They though an airplane had crashed. We could not see this from our house, but others could. Turns out someone at the golf course decided to set off fireworks without notifing the fire department. We were relieved it was not something much worse.

My days are long now, and I often wish I could sleep in like the old days when I was alone. But I can not, for when I try my mom gets up and trys to dress herself and gets all tangled in her clothes. Any other day I have a hard time getting her up. So I am often very fatigued all day long. I need to find some extra help to give me a break a few days a week. But all in all, I will manage and try to have a good day tomarrow. :)

Last few days we have had a heat wave with temp's above 50 degrees. Took off my long johns and back to wearing sneakers again. The robins have returned and we have a albino one flying about the neighborhood. It seems like Spring has arrived in Pennsylvania, and even the early flowers are coming up.

Okay twiztc, where are you? Need to keep this going and let others know they can post here too. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back