Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
I know fibro seems to have a lot to answer for but does anyone else suffer from foot pain? I've been doing a lot of walking this last week & have had pain on the top of both feet but as this has started to improve, I now have pain on the ball of my left foot, even at rest & painkillers don't do any good. I have an appointment with my podiatrist on Tuesday but wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Yes! I do. Started suffering foot pain about 6 months ago. Not on the top of my foot, but to the arches. It's the same deep muscle pain as I feel to the rest of my body. The pain also applies to the ankle joints as well. I know it's Fibro because it comes and goes.

I have foot pain everyday..when i first got fibro it used to come and go...now its pretty much all the time and makes standing and walking a challenge for many minutes at a time.

Initially i was told plantar faciitis but it wasnt it was just one of the many symptoms of fibro.

I would resisit hasty quick fixes that maybe unnecesssary like steroid shots until you know if it is just fibro spreading around. The fact that its moved and improved in one place would indicate fibro to me.

May i ask where does your pain usually affect? Is it all over or more localized. I know we are all different.

If yours moves a lot and you get pain free or low pain areas there must be a very good chance the foot pain will pass..even if it flares another time you will know it can go away again....i always found it a comfort when something NEW happened and it went away again...next time i used that as a tool to help me cope and not be so anxious and just go with the ups and downs.

Take Care

Hi Lou38,

Yes I have foot pain too. Plantar Fasciitis in both feet.I have had it for about 2 years, and it doesn't want to leave.The best thing I find that helps is icing and excercise when my pain has decreased.
Hopefully your podiatrist will be able to help with your pain.I have to dance at my son's wedding soon, so I have to make sure my feet are feeling better.
Fibro effects all parts of our bodies, so much fun.

Sagey

Oh yes i remember thats what i was also advised to do...fill a couple of coke or juice bottles with water and freeze..then roll the underside of your feet over the iced bottles several times a day.

I've had plantar fasciitis and heel spurs in both feet for about 10 years - longer than my fibro diagnosis, and I know how annoying and painful it can be!

For me the key is to have;
a) good comfortable shoes (always - I never ever wear uncomfortable shoes, not even for 10 minutes. My body punishes me for days afterwards for that 10 minute mistake!)
b) inserts/insoles. I have tried very expensive one, custom-made ones, real cheap ones etc. It took a while, but I am now thankful I found the right ones for me. (which also happen to be one of the least expensive ones) So you might have to try out different ones before finding the right ones. I have like 6 pairs at home, already tucked in my comfortable shoes.
c) icing
d) foot massage roller - every night, before going to bed, I roll my feet on that massager. It can hurt a lot, and in the beginning you might have more pain, but in the long term, this has been my life-saver.

I hope your doctor gives you more tips and your feet feel better real soon!

I have foot pain daily and it moves around, but mostly the balls of my feet, sometimes the arch, but deep in the muscles. If I flex my toes, they feel stuck and are hard to move. I was checked by two podiatrists and an orthopaedic surgeon, who all said there was nothing phsically wrong with my feet, so it must be a fibro thing. I've tried all manner of shoes - from inexpensive to really expensive orthopaedic shoes. I find the orthopaedic shoes hurt more - too much pressure on the arch of my foot from the built-in support. Same with athletic shoes. For awhile, roatating through a variety of shoes helped a lot. I have both custom-orthotics and store bought. Right now, my magic combination is blundstone boots and an insole called 'Profoot 2 ounce miracle'. Of course, now it's almost summer, and I'll have to figure out a summer shoe alternative. argh. One more thing that helps - if I go for a walk, it's on a gravel path, never concrete.

These are all great suggestions like vicky i wear super comfy shoes or boots with thick soles for extra absorbsion from the impact of walking and also use gel sole insets too if needed...i also often buy slightly wider or half size bigger than i used to so my feet have plenty of space to spread out and have given up my beloved heels and always wear flats...not the most attractive but these days comfort wins every time.

If you search hard you can buy reasonably stylish but with all these features too.

Walking on grass or gravel is also a good tip ..i always avoid cobbles or really uneven surfaces if possible.

I never found any inserts helpful but im sure a podiatrist can advise you..sometimes its trial and error...just flat and springy works best for me.

Each tip along with icing hopefully will make your symptoms easier.

Thanks for all your replies & advice. The pain had started to ease but after walking for 10 minutes this morning it has started to come back. Driving aggravates it with the affected foot being the one I use for the accelerator and audio typing at work because I use a foot pedal. I already wear orthotics for collapsed arches and have to wear wide fit shoes with really good ankle support for hypermobility so I never wear 'nice' shoes. I'll definitely try some of the suggestions though to see if they give me any relief. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back