Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
OH
So I found a 30 day intro to a yoga studio for 30 bucks. Want to sign up. That's a great price. So I'm trying to slowly get back into yoga. They have two studios, one hot, one not. The latter has restorative yoga if anyone knows what that is. Which I plan on partaking in. It's like... yoga for sloths.

My question is, since the pain isn't doing damage, how stupid would it be of me to try hot yoga? It's supposed to help your muscles relax more. It's like 90 degrees. I wouldn't make it through the whole class the first time, obviously, but I feel I could make some progress and the heat might help me some since I'm so tight.

Or is this a completely stupid idea for someone with fibro to try, lol?

I think you should try and do the restorative yoga for a while,and build some capacity for it and then move up to the hot one.

This way you can gradually work up to it,and measure your body's response without provoking a flare.

For us fibro souls,patience is a virtue and besides,what's the rush?

You will get to where you want,but you must listen to your body,after all,it is your only real insurance policy!

You can also try Tai-chi , or Qigong exercises.

Some movement can look quite odd and abit funny, but it doesn't trigger any flare up. :)

It help not just physical heath but also mental heath, restore balance and brain function in the most gentle way possible . You can even do it while sitting which help me quite alot when my legs are incapable of moving.

There are videos of Qigong for fibromyalgia online also as well as Tai-chi.

I've seen some of my friends who did hot yoga. I don't believe it wise to try it with fibro on the line. But if you think it might help you please be very careful and drinks lots of water before hands. Then be sure to cool your self off well later. Cause even the normal person doing it, it's still not very easy thing to push through. My 'normal' friend passed out once before during the class.

Last edited:
Okay, doing some searching it may actually be helpful. This may not be true of everyone. However, the only day I remember NOT having pain was the day following an 8.5 mile kayak. My entire body just released. It was amazing.

I'm going to sign up tonight. Probably take the hot class (not Bikram which is 100, I think this one is 80 degrees) and see how it goes. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It could be completely stupid of me and I may pay for it but I'm sure as hell gonna go for it!

Good luck lyrin.

Some people do much better after expending all their remaining energy till it pretty much depleted .

Judging by the way you said, I think you maybe one of those people. ;)

I just got home from yoga. I did the light heat (80 degrees) vinyasa flow. There are some hardcore people in there. I had to keep stopping and then pushing through the pain and the muscle fatigue and starting again.

Came out of there dripping sweat. Right now I feel great tho. Little weak. I pushed it really hard. Even when I'd take a break I'd do some other stretching or modified poses.

I was in it to win it.

Not sure I'd recommend this to anyone else though. There is something to be said of just being a stubborn b****, lol. It has worked well for me in the past why quit now. :)

So,how are you feeling the day after?

I hope recovery is in progress and you are thinking of keeping at it.

In this life,almost nothing is free,but yoga does pay you back if you remain vigilant.

I noticed changes after two months that made me a believer,I am now in the beginning of my sixth year.

Make it a routine in your schedule,you won't regret it.Good Luck!

Today I'm a tad sore but it's a good sore.

Here is my test for how bad my day is going to be though: I put my left forearm behind my back. On a normal day this is painful. Sometimes its very painful. Today I feel a slight pull in my shoulder but otherwise no pain!

Some soreness is to be expected after an hour and a half of strenuous yoga lol.

I'd say it was a success for me. I'm integrating some easier yoga classes and restorative yoga classes in there too. Right now I'm schedule for another 4 classes next week. Hopefully this works how I think it will.

Good show!Glad it went well,and with your positive attitude you will do well,I am sure.

Your muscles somehow feel less painfulI when you exercise and are recovering,than if you did nothing and rested.

I would like to offer a suggestion if it agrees with you,and that is to have protein shakes.

They helped me,and I think they will help speed up recovery(after a workout and before bed especially),and build new muscle.

It is the beginning of another beautiful day,and only you can add true meaning,and you will receive a promise of the sun shining down upon all your efforts!

My only issue with protein shakes would be the carbs. A lot are made for body builders and to help build muscle mass. I'm not dead lifting 300 lbs for 4 hours or anything so it may be overkill.

I've read chocolate milk works as well as any product does. Can't remember where though.

Sometimes I stop at the smoothie place and they have protein powder they can put into it.

I'm going to google this now lol

I found some high quality whey powder that I may try that was recommended by a friend.

So update. So Saturday I was sore. Good sore though. Sunday very little pain. Had some more towards the end. So today I'm around normal for regular full body pain level. However, normally I have problem putting shoes on. I have to lift my leg up with my hands and it still hurts to do it. I have been this way for like a year or more.

Today I lifted my leg onto my knee with no hands and NO PAIN.

I think that right there is enough motivation for me to keep toughing it out and going to classes.

*note this may not work for everyone, ask your doctor before beginning an exercise plan. Not like me who asked no one.

Thats amazing ..good luck.

I am glad your experience has gone well,it can be a great motivator.

I forgot to mention that you can get protein powder that has no carbs,that is the one I use.

I have difficulty to put on weight so for me it is not an issue,but I do find that I recover from work,which is physical,measurably quicker with soy protein added to my diet.

Maybe because of the fibro,it does not get absorbed properly like other nutrients,so I need more.

Do not worry about the pain levels too much,if you are regular,the levels will get lower relatively quickly.

Besides,since it hurts anyway,you may as well get something worthwhile out of it and exercise pain levels are lower than fibro pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back