Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
PA
Now this might just be a problem I have but I was wondering if any of you have trouble swallowing certain foods? Like rice or meat, etc...

I love rice, but the types of rice that are good for me, I can't swallow unless they are cooked in a soup or stew. Yesterday I got a craving or yellow rice. You know the good kind that has veggies mixed in with some kind of flavoring and cooks up quick. I was having a piece of salmon and wanted something flavorful and light to eat with it.

Well, the first bite of rice proved to be the wrong thing to do as a few grains of rice caught in the back of my throat in the area where breathing and swallowing take place. It gives you a heavy sore feeling and coughing does not help. I tried washing it down with water, but it stayed stuck. Made me feel like I was almost choking. Finally I got a piece of soft moist bread and ate it slowly and the bread caught the grains of rice and took them away.

Needless to say, I finished my salmon without the rice. Do you have any problems like this that maybe you had an exam by a doctor who noted you had a swallowing problem?
The doctor I saw showed me where the problem was but he wrote in his report that nothing was wrong.

Any comments or sharing are welcome here.

Fortunately I can say I don't have this problem. I sometimes have problems with small pills.

I hate t say it, but if you are getting individual grains of rice stuck in your throat, you probably aren't chewing well enough?

As to the doctor... *head-desks!*

Now this might just be a problem I have but I was wondering if any of you have trouble swallowing certain foods? Like rice or meat, etc...

I love rice, but the types of rice that are good for me, I can't swallow unless they are cooked in a soup or stew. Yesterday I got a craving or yellow rice. You know the good kind that has veggies mixed in with some kind of flavoring and cooks up quick. I was having a piece of salmon and wanted something flavorful and light to eat with it.

Well, the first bite of rice proved to be the wrong thing to do as a few grains of rice caught in the back of my throat in the area where breathing and swallowing take place. It gives you a heavy sore feeling and coughing does not help. I tried washing it down with water, but it stayed stuck. Made me feel like I was almost choking. Finally I got a piece of soft moist bread and ate it slowly and the bread caught the grains of rice and took them away.

Needless to say, I finished my salmon without the rice. Do you have any problems like this that maybe you had an exam by a doctor who noted you had a swallowing problem?
The doctor I saw showed me where the problem was but he wrote in his report that nothing was wrong.

Any comments or sharing are welcome here.

Hi,
According to some studies, some patients with fibromyalgia have been reported to have dysphagia (that is trouble swallowing). Patients with fibromyalgia and dysphagia have other complications related to them such as high BP, depression, osteoporosis. It has also been reported in people taking meds such as Aspirin, Prednisone, Lipitor, Fosamax and so on.
So tell me, do you have high BP? Osteoporesis? And how about the meds you are on?
Another thing I would like to ask you.. Do you smoke? If so, for how long? Beacause difficulty swallowing can also be related to cancer. The problem starts out with dysphagia (usually solid first such as meat followed by liquid).
Or it could be simply because you are not chewing properly on your food.
If the problem continues, then I would advise you to talk with your doctor to get a better understanding of things.

First off I don't have high blood preasure, in fact it is low 115/60. I don't have osteoporesis either. I chew my food really well, a slow eater. I have had this problem for many years and should know better than to try and eat this type of rice. I don't have cancer and have never smoked. I had a whole series of x-rays done in 2009, and they show a weakness in my swallowing muscles at the back of my throat. Nothing can be done about it other than my avoiding problem foods.
I just wondered if anyone else had this problem? So we could talk about it. :)

Hi, just wanted to say that while it may not be the same as you - I do have trouble swallowing sometimes.

Every so often I'll go to swallow and the capability seems to have gone, it lasts about half a minute usually. It usually occurs while just doing the unconscious swallow that happens a million times a day. I sure notice it when it happens though lol.

I had the same problem (difficulty swallowing) and I choked quite a bit even on liquids. I had a swallow test done at the hospital and I found out that I have osteophytes. They are similar to bone spurs. They jutted out into my esophagus and narrowed the pathway for my food and as a result I choked very easily. The only remedy is to have surgery where they go in and literally saw off the osteophytes. I opted to just eat slower and never eat popcorn, chips, etc. when I'm alone. Hope this helps.

I have had this happen a number of times over the last year or so. Of course it's not a Fibro issue for me but it's the same result. There are certain things I have more trouble with than others. Sometime a pill, sometimes meat no matter how much chewing was done, sometimes certain types of bread. There's not a way for me to tell when it will happen but it sure is scary when it does. I can usually manipulate it with a certain cough but that doesn't make it less frightening. Can't take a drink because water won't go past whatever the problem is in there.

I've never had it happen with grains of rice (after reading this thread, I probably shouldn't admit that I was taken aback by the fact that anyone actually chews little grains of rice... I must be a freak of nature because I don't think I've ever done that!) but sometimes it feels like tiny things like that "got stuck"... it's just not the same severe blockage problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back