DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
For as long as I can remember I have had a resting pulse rate in the low 60's

Last week the nurse took my blood pressure. My blood pressure was normal but my pulse rate was in 90

At the time I was not concerned, but then I remembered I sometimes my heart is pounding for no good reason. When I take my pulse it is closer to 90 than 60. It seems like this started at the same time as the fibromyalgia. Are pulse variations just a fibromyalgia thing? Or should I be more concerned?

I think you mentioned that you were on Cymbalta? Interesting reading this because I too had a similar experience at the doctor's office. This was when I was on Cymbalta and living in NY, so, I was taking the subway, speed walking, etc. I got to the doc's office one day, they took my blood pressure and rate and it was abnormally high like I just ran a marathon - so my doc wanted to take it again at the end of our appointment when I've been 'resting' for a bit. Sure enough they both went down but it was still higher than my normal state. I usually have low blood pressure and normal heart rate, but ever since Cymbalta, they both went up. On it, I sweat a lot and my heart starts to pound faster over minimal rushing or sudden minimal stressors, like missing the train. It was definitely bizarre.

I've been off Cymbalta for a few months now and both my blood pressure and heart rate went down, it's not as low as it was pre-fibro, but it's still considered 'healthy'. Cymbalta did mask a lot of the pain tho and certainly helped with depression.

I'm not sure if yours is being affected from medication, fibro, both, or something else, but if you are on Cymbalta, my non-professional guess is it's being caused by that and fibro.

I don't know if the nurse took your measurements immediately when you got to the office or later, but next time perhaps ask them if you can do it at the end of the appointment when you are not 'triggered' by anything to cause a higher pulse rate since our bodies with fibro are oh so sensitive.

Thanks for the info, dancingwithfibro. I am actually taking cyclobenzaprine (flexeril) not Cymbalta, but I will check whether that might be contributing to elevated pulse. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be my medication.

We have a blood pressure cuff at work. I could do a few experiments to see just how sensitive my pulse rate and blood pressure are now.

hiya DK,

im sorry ive been out of town with no internet to answer your question.

dancing gave a great reply about the cymbalta. i have not done research on that drug.

A doctor here wanted to put me on it last week.

i asked him to tell me why he thinks the benefits of the drug out weighs the side effects?

he gave me no answer and just said he could put me on another drug for alsztimers.

so i asked him will the cymbalta reduce my pain levels? his reply was not really, as it is a blocker to the brain to reduce the number of pain messages that it receives and has to process to send the pain. but you will still get the pain.

what you are experiencing maybe a side effect of the drugs. check all of them. call the pharmacy right away and ask questions.

the fatigue, anxiety, depression and pain levels will do that to your heart rate. 90 is still good.

we all get stressed when we go to the doctors office.

when you get to the doctors office, do the breathing exercises and tapping.

it helps me to reduce the blood pressure, pulse rate,pain level, and stress.

Please add to your log book, 3 blood pressure checks each day. the doctors will want to know what it is at home daily.
they need to know if its the meds or your low blood pressure is now changing.

i cant say its part of fibro. my heart is healthy, but sometimes it goes out of beat. this is not due to fibro.
my brother is 56 years old and he has the same thing as me and is now on a pace maker for it.

check it out and dont wait long before calling the pharmacy.

Thanks Cmetryme, good advice!

Putting my blood pressure in my log book is a good idea, then I can see if it tracks symptoms, time of day, exercise or none of the above. And I will check up on the side effects of my medications.

Welcome back!

thanks DK,

i hope you find whats wrong fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back