How much time do you give Fibro to live with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BombayMum

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IN
State
Bombay
Thanks to all the supportive people here on this forum, I've had quite a journey in last few months. diagnosed with Fibro and then depression and now been on medication for six months, I can actually see how different life is getting.
While fibro has become by alarm system for any kind of climatic weather changes. (honestly!), absence of it , those days I feel that I have got super human strength.
Recently there was this talk which I attended given by a neuroscientist and she spoke about synapses in the cells and the complex system of connection in the brain. She said that at night, during sleep our brains are busy working very very fast with all this information to create memories.
Wonder if there is a connection with the brain cells, depression and fibro. Possibly that is where one could find the triggers.
I wonder if 6 months is enough to announce at work that I have fibro? or wait just incase there is a way to recover? too many things to be done in the world... can't let life just pass by.

I'd have to say tell your boss what u have. There is no cure.sure u can have good days even weeks for some but as far as we no it's not going away.
If something happens to u at work , and u didn't tell them ,then your be the loser for it.

like forgetmenot said, there is no cure. there are possibilities of being misdiagnosed or going into remission, but this is a condition we face forever. there are methods that could relieve some symptoms like medication, exercise, healthy diet, juicing, massage therapy, etc but there is no magic pill/method that will take it all away.

if you're in the US, I would have said: i think it's smart to share with your boss what you were diagnosed with but also share that it is a new diagnosis and you are still learning about this condition.

BUT after seeing you're in India, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the culture or laws there so I don't know if there would be a backlash to sharing your health condition. you want to protect yourself and your job, so if you feel that sharing this could cost your job, then i would advise against it.

I have a very trustworthy manager who I respect a lot, so it was an easy decision to tell him. I have not made a general announcement because there are a few highly political people who I do not trust.

Forgetmenot is right, there may be legal protections you get when you tell your employer. In the USA, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires "reasonable accommodations". I don't know if India has something similar.

It sounds like your medications are helping; I'm glad for you!

I have a new boss and told my team that I have fibromyalgia. I really only told them about the pain because I'm scared to tell them about the brain fog. Sitting in a meeting soon after, my boss looked at me and said "Wow. So your just sitting there in pain right now." Weird reaction. However, as time goes on he also has told me several times that I'm a "producer." He knows I'm a workhorse and will figure out how to get it done. Someday I'll tell them all about the brain fog. I do also tell them when I'm hitting my limit and need a break. They know I'll make it up as I'm able. I just feel so lucky reading other's posts that I am still so able. Scared that the day will come when I'm not able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back