Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ct
I am a 24 year old male from the United States and I am in the process of being diagnosed/treated for something that has been described to me (by doctors) as fibromyalgia related.
For most of my life, I have had mild anxiety and depression and was most recently diagnosed with GAD. When I was 16, during my sophomore year of high school, I had went through a dramatic and rapid weight loss. I would run to exhaustion nearly every day. Soon following that routine, whatever I have manifested itself. Everyday, I wake up with extreme discomfort behind my eyes. Its absolutely debilitating. It feels like a pressure pushing against the back of my eyeballs. I get up, I blink methodically, and it usually subsides within 5 minutes. The rest of the day, I feel horrible. It feels as though my brain has been stuck in the microwave. It feels like my brain has been deprived of sleep. Depending on how much sleep I got the night before, my eye discomfort will come and go. By 2-3pm, by energy depletes, and my symptoms flare up. By 3 pm, I am in a total "fog" which leaves my head feeling heavy, lethargic, and renders me useless. By this time, my eye discomfort returns at it's full force.
If I'm not at work, or at school, I literally feel forced to take a nap. It stops me in my tracks, thats how bad it is. Usually this part of my day will last anywhere from 1 hour to the rest of the day. If I'm at school during these times, I usually have to close my eyes and "ride out" my symptoms. It is a terrible feeling being in class or at work while feeling this way. I am unproductive, I am un-motivated, and I feel horrible.
Usually my symptoms hit the hardest after i preform strenuous exercise. Right after a 1.5 mile run or a weightlifting session, I feel amazing. Its only 30 mins to 1 hour after where my symptoms come back and I have to lie down.
The worst part about my symptoms are the eye discomfort/pain. They are debilatating. What frustrates me the most is whenever I have explained my eye problems to my doctors, they have no idea what could be causing it.
My mother has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. When I mentioned this to my neurologist, he began to treat my symptoms like they were related to fibromyalgia. I have been prescribed Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Pristiq, and now I am currently taking lexapro for my GAD/ depression.
The first night I took gapapentin at 300mg at bedtime, I awoke the next morning, and my eye pain was COMPLETELY GONE. After that first night, my eye pain slowly started to come back. The cymbalta had improved my symptoms, and so did the pristiq. But they never had any effect on the pain that I feel behind my eyes and in my head. I am thinking about discussing with my doctor the possibility of trying out lyrica. The gabapentin was the only thing that helped me tremendously, only if it was just for one night/morning. I am optimistic that what I'm experiencing is a result of nerve can be resolved with lyrica, but I'm beginning to feel desperate about my symptoms.
I am not one to openly discuss my "condition" outside of my family (most specifically my mother, because she knows what its like to suffer from a chronic illness). I feel as though no one is experiencing the same symptoms that I do and it makes me feel worse about my condition. Its hard going through life like this, especially during my important formative years of adulthood. I feel held back, and I feel like I've missed out on a lot of what life has to offer because of the way I feel.
I'm not here for your sympathy, but I would like feedback on people who have experienced similar symptoms. I am here to see if anyone has experienced the same symptoms that I have. Iv'e suffered with this for almost 10 years now, and i'm losing hope.
p.s. I do not have typically fibromyalgia symptoms such as muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, or stiffness. My symptoms are generalized "in my head" and "on my brain" and the overall feeling I have living.
I appreciate anybody who takes the time to read this, and I also appreciate anybody who provides feedback.
thank you.

Hi! Have you visited an ophthalmologist? If not, I can recommend you to let an ophthalmologist examine your eyes in order to exclude any eye diseases and conditions.

i have seen a optometrist and have had an eye pressure test.

It’s good that you’ve seen an optometrist. However, ophthalmologists usually have deeper knowledge and a broader range of skills and techniques than optometrists, so that’s why I recommended seeing an ophthalmologist.

You mentioned many symptoms that are common among people with fibromyalgia. Chronic fatigue, insomnia, “fog” (seen as moments of forgetfulness and difficulties with concentration), and anxiety can all be caused by fibromyalgia. I have these symptoms as well.

I hope your doctors will be able to find out what’s causing the eye pain, and that the treatments will be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back