Doctor thinks I am ' the classic internet self diagnoser'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

docdhruv

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IND
State
Uttar Pradesh
I am not even sure if that is correct but my doctor quite clearly believes that I am someone who is 'over-sensitive' and am screwing with my head by spending too much time on the internet looking for symptoms and diseases where there are none.

It really makes me feel frustrated. Yes, he is medically trained but all i am doing is to give him a suggestion? I have the right to try and find out what is wrong with my body don't I?

If you don't feel that your current doc is proving the best medical care for you, then you should seek another opinion. Especially if you are that sure that your doc is not diagnosing you properly. There's certainly a possibility that you are indeed incorrectly diagnosing yourself, but I don't believe that we're the right people to help you with that.

I would agree you need to see another doctor, but if you see one just tell him your worse symptoms and never ever say I think I have this or that. Some doctors think your stepping on their authority and will in return give you the comments like you received. It is better to let things go the way of the doctor until you get to know him or her, and wait for a proper diagnosis. In the meantime you are welcome to explore this forum and learn coping skills to help you manage your illness. One day some day a doctor will give you the diagnosis you are waiting for.

The hardest part of any illness is the symptom management. If you can learn ways to help yourself then you will be ahead of the game, no matter what your illness turns out to be. Good Luck! :)

Me, too (Agree to see someone else). I told my Dr. all the things I read on the internet and she wanted to hear it. Listened. And ran more tests.

Been there, believe me and most of the times (sadly) I have been right. Your doctor isn't being open minded and kind by letting you know he thinks that, not cool at all to be honest. He shouldn't say that! He should just listen and if he think your suggestions are useful and appropriate then consider them, but no, instead of that he is tagging you. If I were you I'd consider seeing a different doctor.

If you don't feel that your current doc is proving the best medical care for you, then you should seek another opinion. Especially if you are that sure that your doc is not diagnosing you properly. There's certainly a possibility that you are indeed incorrectly diagnosing yourself, but I don't believe that we're the right people to help you with that.

I second your opinion, after all doctors are supposed to listen to us and what we have to say. I have suggested several tests to my doctors in the past and most agreed it was a good idea, some of those test lead to an early diagnosis of a few things. Point is... a doc who will start tagging you and downplay your suggestion is a red flag.

You always have the right to change your doctor, and if you feel that your current one is not giving you everything that you need, then I would recommend this as a course of action. However,you should give a small amount of thought to whether he is telling the truth. How many of the symptoms do you have? Are the symptoms that you are having broad, or could they only relate to this? I only ask because it IS easy to self diagnose on the internet. However, usually, the case is that the internet can be quite helpful, and the doctor should listen to you.

I am not even sure if that is correct but my doctor quite clearly believes that I am someone who is 'over-sensitive' and am screwing with my head by spending too much time on the internet looking for symptoms and diseases where there are none.

I have learned to not mention self-research, especially the Internet. For some reason they must think we're all too dumb to know that "bubba's health resort page" isn't what we should use, and Mayo Clinic or WebMD is. Grrrr. Doctors envision us at those other sites and the "closed mind" lock goes on.

That doesn't mean I won't make suggestions... I'll just form them like questions without mentioning that I looked it up. If they answer "wrong" and I know Mayo says differently, then I'll be doc shopping. Reverse psychology? Maybe... but sometimes it's the only way they'll listen.

I have the same exact problem. All my doctors think that my pain and fatigue is just imaginary. There is definitely something wrong with me, has been for a while. I'm tired of being looked at like I'm excessively obsessed over this. I just want to know what's wrong and how can I fix it. They all believe its a weight related matter; I'm tired because I'm heavy and I'm in pain because my body is carry me around. Blah, blah, blah. I'm heavy, but not morbidly so. I have had three children, back to back. You would think they would take in to consideration that the pain was there before then. I'm just tired, of paying doctors and asking them to test me for things they should offer me right of the back. I'm paying right? I'm sorry you are going through the same situation. It seems like nobody wants to give you the time of day and you have every right to get pissed off too.

I believe we, as patients, have the right to be informed. There may be symptoms associated with a certain condition that the doctor may not think is relevant, but we read a correlation on the internet. I have been unfortunate to have worked 30 years in the medical field, and to go into a doctor with medical knowledge is damaging. I don't act like I know everything, but I do point out some possibilities of diagnosis to them. Boy, they do not like that at all! On the other hand, when I don't say anything, and they come back at me with something ridiculous that is way off base, then I'm frustrated and get angry. What are we going to do? I have had one doctor that at least has entertained me with ordering blood tests to confirm that I DON'T have what I think I have.

I don't act like I know everything, but I do point out some possibilities of diagnosis to them. Boy, they do not like that at all! On the other hand, when I don't say anything, and they come back at me with something ridiculous that is way off base, then I'm frustrated and get angry. What are we going to do? I have had one doctor that at least has entertained me with ordering blood tests to confirm that I DON'T have what I think I have.

I do that as well, I'm always pointing out possible diagnosis or tests I really think I should get done. Most of them hate it, if you asks me doctors here are the worst of the worst, they're so arrogant and don't seem t care less about us or our problem. I believe that if someone doesn't have the vocation to help, then he or she shouldn't even be doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back