Have You Heard people Make Fun of Fibro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinderr

Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
US
State
WI
I have! I have heard people joke that it was just an excuse to get out of work or to be lazy. I think it's because there is no definitive test to determine the nature of the disease. It can be a cold, cruel world out there.
A boss at my last job, was a total jerk. It was a factory job and he would ride the butt of this kid with MS all day long! Very mean; the kid tried so hard, was nervous to boot. After that factory closed, that supervisor ended up having MS! If that is not poetic justice, I don't know what is.
Not wishing fibro on the naysayers but...:confused:

I have heard remarks numerous times about it just being an excuse not to do something and all that, but I'm quick to correct them and let them know that the aches and pains they are feeling and complaining about are only temporary but what I have never goes away. No matter what I do or where I'm at it's right there with me and I would love to be more active in my children's life if my body would allow me to. Once I give them a few examples of things I miss out on then they change their tone real quick. It annoys me when people "make fun" of a true condition, it would be different if I was just lazy and didn't wanna do anything but that's so not the case.

I have. A lot people have said some mean things to me, things like me being just overly dramatic and making this pain up. Most of them were mostly behind my back. Some doctors have been quite mean to me as well in the past! They tried to joke about it, it has never been funny. I no longer have the energy to care about that kind of things anymore tho, so I tend to just ignore it now. I'm too sick and tired for that.

You're right, you have to ignore these remarks. We know the truth, hopefully our family knows the truth. Unless you experience unrelenting pain, you have no idea. My husband is just now realizing this! He has been in pain (fibro? I don't think so--probably a back problem) for a little over a month; I have been in pain for five long years!
I am always surprised when I give out a shout or whimper of pain and neither one of my roommates even blinks! Ask, dammit!Ask if I am okay or need anything! Don't forget I am over here; silently writhing in pain!

I am always surprised when I give out a shout or whimper of pain and neither one of my roommates even blinks! Ask, dammit!Ask if I am okay or need anything! Don't forget I am over here; silently writhing in pain!

This may work for some people, but I've also seen the opposite happening. I've heard answers of "Stop asking if I'm okay... I'm not okay and never will be. Every time you coddle me or keep asking if I need anything, it makes me feel like even more of an invalid." (direct quote there.)

So I guess you need to know the person suffering the fibro to know how they'll react. One of my friends with it is happy to have someone ask often but the other girl would rather suffer on her own and not transfer it to others. Different strokes, I guess.

I am happy to say that I have never heard of anyone making fun of fibro. I hope it stays that way. I don't doubt that it will happen. Aren't people disappointing?

The worest treatment I have had in the sayiong of crude remarks or nasty comments was from many doctors and nurses, before I was diagnosised. A few family members considered me lazy, like my husband, but for the most part many were supportive because they knew me before I got fibro and knew what a hard worker I was.

It is really hard to refresh peoples memories as in how you were and behaved, before coming down with fibro which changes everything you ever could say about yourself and your life. :)

I am happy to say that I have never heard of anyone making fun of fibro. I hope it stays that way. I don't doubt that it will happen. Aren't people disappointing?

I hope it stays that way for you, too, rollinloud! :) I'd like to argue with your point about people being disappointing but... well, I've seen and heard too much, especially over the last few years, to be able to do that. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back