Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
I take alternative hormonal therapy but it does not provide any contraception. I'm giving consideration to getting Paragard (my holistic GYN said that's the only one she would recommend) but I'm nervous about the potential side effects...like many people with Fibro, my body is super sensitive to any kind of stimulation or change. Prior to taking the natural (compounded) hormones, I had periods that made me want to die from total body pain (I'm not kidding) and I'm nervous that the IUD will cause spotting/bleeding/cramping and bring the symptoms back...or worse, cause new ones. I've read the stories of bleeding, fatigue, depression, etc., but for every person that posts about a bad experience, there are probably 30 that don't post their good experiences.

This is especially a tough decision because I recently became sexually active for the first time and would be purchasing the IUD out of pocket for privacy reasons. That's a HUGE chunk of money for something that may have to come out or make things worse.

So I was curious if anyone here would be willing to share their Paragard (NOT Mirena or Skyla) experiences?

Hi there. I used a copper-T IUD until I went through menopause because many of my migraines were centered around my cycle and triggered by hormones. I had no problems other than some cramping for a couple days after I got it. I had miserable periods but they didn't get worse with the IUD. The weirdest thing was that I swore I could feel it until I just forgot about it. For me, it was the best form of birth control.

Hey there,
I had a Paragard in for 8 years, and it caused me to have very heavy periods with a lot more cramping than I had had previously. I actually had to have it removed because it depleted my iron so terribly. Also, I don't know if you have had any children, but it can sometimes be uncomfortable if you have not. Otherwise, it is a really great form of birth control. No worries about hormones. That part was really wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back