BadPatch

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2003
Country
US
State
Hi, This seems to be a popular and comprehensive site; amazed I've never run into it, before! I am elderly with fibro, along with migraines, DDD, IBS, GERD, OA, and a million other disorders (or so it seems). Frankly, I found the registration somewhat daunting; I don't even remember when I was diagnosed with Fibro, so I made my closest approximation-- maybe 12 years ago? Just a guess. I have so many other problems, that I can't even remember what happened yesterday, most of the time.
Recently, I have had horrible foot pain, which is how I found this site. However, it's not plantar facsitis (sp?), I don't think, as it's on the top of my foot, to the right. I have partially ruptured Achilles Tendons, and have had horrible pain from that; but somehow, it spread to my foot! I get an MRI in a few days. It was so bad, that I felt I needed a wheelchair. I don't know if it's a fibro thing, or if I had a stress fracture-- or both? Or, was it all from the Achilles Tendon problem? Well, time will tell. My main problem otherwise, seems to be people rejecting me because I am "dependent". I am elderly, don't drive, and am poor. Bad combo! I don't have much to recommend me to friendships, these days. Have been in severe emotional trauma from various misunderstandings and rejections, especially, in the past 6 months, or so-- even with volunteer work. If you are insecure plus in pain and dependent, well, what can you do? I try to be upbeat, but sooner or later, it's as though I were "found out". So I am in both severe emotional and physical pain. Therapy has never helped (if anything, it's made things worse). Also, all this has affected whatever "faith" I've had. Frankly, I don't see anything getting better for me, unless I can find some quality time to myself-- enough time to do something creative. However, I have had so much stress lately, that I am falling apart. If you are in pain and also poor and dependent, just kiss your life goodbye. I can't even get to the drug-store... Don't even know how I will survive, at this point. (Forgot to mention that they are cutting social services in my area, so I pray that I can afford out of pocket agencies to help me cope... I have limited help now, but that will be gone, by the end of summer).

Also, my computer keeps locking up...

Anyway, this is why my user name is what I chose: because I'm really going thru a "bad patch". Sorry to be so depressing, but hey, at least I'm honest...

Thanks. :(

Dear Badpatch,
Welcome to the forum. It saddens me to think of you and your health conditions with so little help headed your way. I would suggest you get in touch with the local Office of Human Services Area Agency on Aging. They would send out someone to your home and see if you would be eligible for any of their programs. I too am very independent, but without this agencies help I could not afford to get caregiver's in to help my mother. Do you have any relatives or good friends close by that could help set up some means of transportation, such as using the special buses for elderly. If we knew your town we could do searches online for the information you need.

In the meantime I hope that your MRI test helps figure out what is causing your pain and then maybe treatment can get you on your feet again. Please read through the different topic posts and ask any questions that come to mind, as well as, answer any posts you like. We try very hard to be supportive of all our members and offer advice on medications and home products that offer relief, as well as, providing our own humor and place to vent when life is getting you down.

There are many topic sections and lots of posts old and new, to choose from that are filled with hints and ideas, and great coping skills. I am sure many members will join in and wish you good luck and a hearty hello. Please try and keep your spirits up and your courage. Any type of disability is a hardship, but the ones that cause terrible pain are the worse. And here this forum is filled with folks with fibro, a little understood illness that can cause horrible pain and depression from that pain.

I would be the first to tell you that just because you have fibro, does not mean that every new symptom is caused by it. As you know having other health conditions other things are always at play and you can develop new symptoms that have nothing to do with fibromyalgia. So keep fighting and don't give up, and come here often and make new friends who won't judge you based on your health or income, and who completely understand about the pain your in. Count me as one of your new friends. Hope you have a good day. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

Welcome to the mad house, don't start me on feet mine are killing me.i also get rotten foot pain on the top of my feet.
On the whole were a happy band of ppl ,yes we moan cry and have the odd tantrum ,but we also keep each other going.
Drill Sargent cemetryme will be on later to read you the riot act.grins
Today my bi polar is on the up so u get the silly me .but I like to think I'm cheery if nothing else.
This site has saved me many a day. You might be alone in body but you won't be alone in spirit my friend x

Hi,1Sweed,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond; I am overwhelmed on several levels that I've not even mentioned...

As for Ageing (Aging?) Services, have contacted them. My chief problem, however, is transportation; they are unable to help with that. All of the funding in my state seems to be drying up (before hand, I had some gov't agencies helping me); para-transit is a nightmare-- recently, they stood me up! I am thinking I will have to allocate funds for a private agency, at this point. A couple of people have offered to help, but when push comes to shove, they are suddenly out of the picture, for a variety of reasons (I don't want to get too personal in replies, re: identity issues).

Aging Services may help me with, say, vacuuming or something, but I may also be able to get that locally, so it's just too much rigmarole to deal with them. Whatever I have seems to wax and wane. The gov't deals in black and white. You either can do something, or you can't. But anyway, if I can afford it, I'm going to go with a private agency. Also, there's one more agency, but I'm on their "waiting list".

I don't know what's wrong with my foot, but it seems to have got better on its own (for the most part). I had the MRI, but it was for my ankle... too complicated to get there for multiple MRIs. I'm at the point at which I'm so burnt out, that I no longer really care what happens. I have so many doctors, phone calls, emails, that I don't even know what I'm doing, anymore. It's all just too complicated for me. No one seems to know what's happening, so I guess if it gets bad again, I'll go to the ER. I tried to get wheelchair, but they couldn't figure out the insurance code, so that's that. However, by the time all this occurred, the foot was getting better, anyway. Healthcare is a joke. It's also a full-time job. A shame I don't get paid for daily banging my head against the wall!

I am estranged from my family, for the most part; plus, they live far away. I suspect that if I am badly off enough, I'll just get stuck in a nursing home (which I don't want, but without real-time support, I can foresee that happening).

All my close friends have died. My more recent friends either don't seem to want to get involved, or themselves, don't have cars. Obviously if I had someone to depend upon, I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with! When I moved here, I was told there was a van... then too, I could get help, for awhile. Or else, I could even take public transit. But things are growing worse... It's a shame that Ageing Services doesn't do transportation, but they don't. Frankly, I am not sure what I am going to do. One clergy person has stepped in, but it's kind of strange... he has enough to do! But most of the religious persons I know live too far away, or are too busy. I keep hoping for a solution, but so far, there is no good one. So if I can't afford a private agency, I imagine it'll be a nursing home for me! But really, I'd rather die than go to a nursing home... (was once in one; it was worse than hell).

I still have a ride on and off until Sept. Then, I'm on my own. So I have 3-4 months to try to find a solution. I have arranged an interview with a private agency, later on in the summer.

On top of that, my laptop is breaking; and I am having a lot of other sudden expenses. I just hope I can manage...

Thanks for listening,

BadPatch

PS. I think it's "aging"; my spellcheck insists upon "ageing"<g>.

Dear Badpatch,
Welcome to the forum. It saddens me to think of you and your health conditions with so little help headed your way. I would suggest you get in touch with the local Office of Human Services Area Agency on Aging. They would send out someone to your home and see if you would be eligible for any of their programs. I too am very independent, but without this agencies help I could not afford to get caregiver's in to help my mother. Do you have any relatives or good friends close by that could help set up some means of transportation, such as using the special buses for elderly. If we knew your town we could do searches online for the information you need.

In the meantime I hope that your MRI test helps figure out what is causing your pain and then maybe treatment can get you on your feet again. Please read through the different topic posts and ask any questions that come to mind, as well as, answer any posts you like. We try very hard to be supportive of all our members and offer advice on medications and home products that offer relief, as well as, providing our own humor and place to vent when life is getting you down.

There are many topic sections and lots of posts old and new, to choose from that are filled with hints and ideas, and great coping skills. I am sure many members will join in and wish you good luck and a hearty hello. Please try and keep your spirits up and your courage. Any type of disability is a hardship, but the ones that cause terrible pain are the worse. And here this forum is filled with folks with fibro, a little understood illness that can cause horrible pain and depression from that pain.

I would be the first to tell you that just because you have fibro, does not mean that every new symptom is caused by it. As you know having other health conditions other things are always at play and you can develop new symptoms that have nothing to do with fibromyalgia. So keep fighting and don't give up, and come here often and make new friends who won't judge you based on your health or income, and who completely understand about the pain your in. Count me as one of your new friends. Hope you have a good day. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

I suspect I'm in the wrong place, but my browser keeps logging me out, saying I have wrong pw, or whatever, and I can't find thread. Thanks for all your replies. I am having trouble with this site. Sorry! Bad Patch. : (

So sorry to hear all the pain and emotional issues you are living with. I sadly know others going thru the same things, lack of money and aging and health issues...as they say, aging is not for the weak...but we do get weak in so many ways... I won't get on my soapbox about how our govt spends and wastes money, but you can read between the lines.....

I had real probs reading the post .can u write in a darker color hugs x

hello bad patch.

The drill Sargent has arrived.. lol

here i thought i was a crazy poster not a drill sargent.

yes, sometimes i can be harsh and sometimes i can be caring.

This post requires caring on my part.

I feel your pain and understand what its like to be poor too.

yes forgetmenot at one time in my life i too was poor. as my mom would say " we cant afford a pot to piss in".

you have already gotten some good advise on some helpful programs.

you might want to try calling your local senior center for some help with transportation and computer help.

I understand how you feel about the nursing homes. had a few friends go to them too.

they did die very quickly once they got there. that was something that made me hate them.

i m not sure if you own your home or not.

try looking into a reverse mortgage for some funds to help you through the hard times ahead.

Call the local hospital and see what programs they have to help you as well.

you should be getting meals on wheels too.

i can not make your pains go away. I can give you a big cyber hug and pray with you that things will get better.

end of riot act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back